Wave Interference and wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving sound interference in a tube with a straight portion and a half-circle. The goal is to find the smallest radius that results in an intensity minimum at the detector. The relevant equations to consider are I = P/(4pi*r^(2)), where I is intensity, P is power, and r is radius, and P = .5(4*pi^(2))*frequency^(2)*A^(2)*v, where A = 4*pi*r^(2) and v is the velocity of sound. After attempting to solve the problem using these equations, it is suggested to simplify the equation to r^(2) = .5*pi*velocity, but this solution is incorrect.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

In Fig. 17-35, sound with a 15.6 cm wavelength travels rightward from a source and through a tube that consists of a straight portion and a half-circle. Part of the sound wave travels through the half-circle and then rejoins the rest of the wave, which goes directly through the straight portion. This rejoining results in interference. What is the smallest radius r (cm) that results in an intensity minimum at the detector? (Take the speed of sound to be 343 m/s.)

Homework Equations

If it wants the minimum intensity, we have to minimize the following equation: I = P/(4pi*r^(2)), where I is intensity, P equals power, and r equals radius. But then again, I also think of derivative when I hear maximum/minimum values...

The Attempt at a Solution

343/15.6 = 21.99 Hz = frequency
2pi * frequency = angular velocity = 138.15
k = wave number = 0.403

So, these are the values we know, but I do not know how to manipulate them into the formula above...maybe I'm using the wrong formula?! Please help! I appreciate all the help. Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, another piece of info. that I know, (but after I enter in the problem, it tells me I'm wrong) is that P = .5(4*pi^(2))*frequency^(2)*A^(2)*v, and A = 4*pi*r^(2). They also say on this one website that I = f^(2)*A^(2). Therefore, the equation simplifies down to:

r^(2) = .5*pi*velocity --> r = 23.2cm = WRONG!

Please help me figure out this problem! Thanks again!

am I on the right track, or do I need to use a different formula?! Thanks for the help!

Related to Wave Interference and wavelength

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and combine with each other, resulting in a new wave pattern.

2. How does wave interference affect the amplitude of a wave?

Wave interference can either increase or decrease the amplitude of a wave, depending on whether the waves are in phase (constructive interference) or out of phase (destructive interference).

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes combine, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes cancel out, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and wave interference?

The wavelength of a wave determines the distance between wave peaks or troughs. When two waves with the same wavelength interfere, they can either reinforce each other or cancel each other out, depending on their phase.

5. How does the medium affect wave interference?

The medium through which a wave travels can affect its speed and therefore its wavelength. This can impact the interference patterns of waves, as well as the overall behavior of the wave.