Wave-function solution in time-reversal transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption of time-independence and its effect on the commutativity of ##U_{\tau}## and ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}## in obtaining (5.362). It is argued that this assumption could lead to non-sense, as shown by the contradiction of the assumption that ##H## is not real. Further discussion involves proving that ##UH=HU## by assuming that ##U\Psi## is a solution to Schrodinger's equation only because ##\Psi## is.
Happiness
In obtaining (5.362) from (5.359), we first get

##U_{\tau}i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi(t) = U_{\tau}H^*\Psi^*(-t)##

In order to obtain the LHS of (5.362), ##U_{\tau}## must commute with ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}##. But how do we know that they commute?

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 6.26.09 am.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hamiltonian is assumed to be time-independent, so its reasonable to expect U to be time-independent too. So we just assume it and continue. If it was a bad assumption, it would give us non-sense. Then we could go back and relax this assumption. But if it works(as it did here), good for us!

Shyan said:
The Hamiltonian is assumed to be time-independent, so its reasonable to expect U to be time-independent too. So we just assume it and continue. If it was a bad assumption, it would give us non-sense. Then we could go back and relax this assumption. But if it works(as it did here), good for us!

But it appears I could get non-sense out of this assumption:

Since ##U_{\tau}## commutes with ##i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}##, it also commutes with ##H## by the time-dependent Schrondinger equation. From (5.361), ##H^*=U_{\tau}^{\dagger}HU_{\tau}##. Since ##U_{\tau}## commutes with ##H##, ##H^*=U_{\tau}^{\dagger}U_{\tau}H=H##, which contradicts the assumption that ##H## is not real.

Happiness said:
Since UτU_{\tau} commutes with iℏ∂∂tiℏ∂∂ti\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}, it also commutes with HHH by the time-dependent Schrondinger equation.
I don't see how that follows!

Shyan said:
I don't see how that follows!

##UH\Psi=Ui\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}U\Psi=HU\Psi##

Since this is true for any ##\Psi##, ##UH=HU##.

Happiness said:
##UH\Psi=Ui\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}U\Psi=HU\Psi##

Since this is true for any ##\Psi##, ##UH=HU##.

Here you're assuming that ## U\Psi ## is a solution to Schrodinger's equation only because ## \Psi ## is! Can you prove this?

Likes Happiness

Related to Wave-function solution in time-reversal transformation

1. What is a wave-function solution?

A wave-function solution is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a quantum mechanical system over time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a given time.

2. What is meant by time-reversal transformation?

Time-reversal transformation is a mathematical operation that reverses the direction of time in a physical system. This means that the system appears to run backwards in time, but all physical laws and equations remain the same.

3. How does time-reversal transformation affect the wave-function solution?

When a time-reversal transformation is applied to a wave-function solution, the direction of time in the equation is reversed. This can result in changes to the wave-function, such as a reversal in the direction of motion of a particle.

4. What is the significance of time-reversal symmetry in quantum mechanics?

Time-reversal symmetry is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the laws of physics should be the same regardless of whether time is moving forward or backward. It allows for the prediction of the behavior of a system at any point in time, regardless of the direction of time.

5. Can the wave-function solution be used to predict the behavior of a system under time-reversal transformation?

Yes, the wave-function solution can be used to predict the behavior of a system under time-reversal transformation. By applying the time-reversal operator to the wave-function, the behavior of the system can be calculated for both forward and backward time directions.