Wave Function Doubt and Derivation

In summary, the two sources provide different forms of the wave function for the Schrodinger Wave Equation, with one using a negative exponent and the other using a positive exponent. The correct form can be determined by substituting both into the Schrodinger equation. There are also other ways to derive the equation, such as using the Euler formula. In general, wave functions are complex and this should not be confusing as it is necessary for the integration process.
sarvesh0303

Homework Statement

I was reading up on the Wave Function used in the Schrodinger Wave Equation. However one source said that
ψ(x,t)=e^(-i/hbar*(px-Et))
Another source had this
ψ(x,t)=e^(i/hbar*(px-Et))

Which one of these is true and could someone give a derivation for the correct wavefunction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see for yourself by substituting into the 1DSE.
In fact - that is an important exercise: do that and get back to us.

I know I can! But I want to try deriving the 1DSE by using this value. So I want to know another way of deriving it. I read that it can be derived by taking
ψ(x,t)=A(cos(2∏x/λ-2∏ηt)+isin(2∏x/λ-2∏ηt))

where η=frequency
and then the euler formula was used.

My doubt with this derivation is that would every wave (its wavefunction) always be of the form mentioned above.
If so then since isin(2∏x/λ-2∏ηt) is a complex term, then wouldn't it imply that every wave must have a complex component?
This part really confuses me!

sarvesh0303 said:
I know I can! But I want to try deriving the 1DSE by using this value.
The 1DSE is not really something you derive is it? You will benefit by substituting both forms of the wavefunction you were asking about into the Schrodinger equation to see which one is the "real" solution. Have you tried this yet? If not - do it. If you have, please report what you found.
So I want to know another way of deriving it.
"it" what? The wavefunction for a free particle or the 1DSE? You have mentioned trying to derive both now.
My doubt with this derivation is that would every wave (its wavefunction) always be of the form mentioned above.
If so then since isin(2∏x/λ-2∏ηt) is a complex term, then wouldn't it imply that every wave must have a complex component?
This part really confuses me!
In general, wave-functions are complex - this is correct. Why would this confuse you? It is why you have to premultiply by the complex conjugate before integrating.

I understand your concern regarding the discrepancy between the two sources. However, both of these wave functions are valid and can be derived from the Schrodinger Wave Equation.

The difference between the two sources is due to the choice of the sign convention for the imaginary unit (i). Some sources use the convention where i is defined as e^(-iπ/2), while others use the convention where i is defined as e^(iπ/2). This results in the difference in the overall sign of the wave function.

To derive the correct wave function, we can start with the Schrodinger Wave Equation:

iħ∂ψ/∂t = -ħ^2/2m ∂^2ψ/∂x^2 + V(x)ψ

Where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, t is time, m is the mass of the particle, x is position, V(x) is the potential energy, and ψ is the wave function.

To solve this equation, we can use the method of separation of variables, where we assume that ψ(x,t) can be written as a product of two functions, one dependent on x and the other dependent on t:

ψ(x,t) = X(x)T(t)

Substituting this into the Schrodinger Wave Equation, we get:

iħT(t)dX(x)/dx = -ħ^2/2m X(x)d^2T(t)/dt^2 + V(x)XT(t)

Dividing both sides by ψ(x,t) = X(x)T(t), we get:

iħ/T(t) dT(t)/dt = -ħ^2/2m X(x)/T(t) d^2X(x)/dx^2 + V(x)

Since the left side of the equation only depends on t and the right side only depends on x, both sides must be equal to a constant, which we can denote as E. This constant represents the total energy of the particle.

iħdT(t)/dt = ET(t)

And

-ħ^2/2m d^2X(x)/dx^2 + V(x)X(x) = EX(x)

We can solve the first equation for T(t) to get:

T(t) = e^(-iEt/ħ)

Substituting this into the second equation, we

Related to Wave Function Doubt and Derivation

1. What is wave function doubt?

Wave function doubt is a concept in quantum mechanics that arises when trying to measure the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This leads to uncertainty or doubt in the predicted behavior of the particle.

2. How is wave function doubt related to the wave-particle duality?

Wave function doubt is closely related to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. In this theory, particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. The wave function represents the probability of finding a particle at a particular location, but it does not give an exact position. This uncertainty in position is the source of wave function doubt.

3. Can wave function doubt be eliminated?

No, wave function doubt cannot be eliminated completely. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is not a result of limitations in measurement tools or techniques. However, scientists have developed methods to minimize or reduce wave function doubt through techniques such as quantum entanglement and decoherence.

4. How is the wave function derived?

The wave function is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The wave function itself is a mathematical function that describes the state of a particle or system in terms of its position and momentum. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location or state.

5. What are the implications of wave function doubt?

Wave function doubt has significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics, as it challenges our understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also has practical applications in technologies such as quantum computing, where the superposition of states and uncertainty of particles are harnessed for computational power. Additionally, wave function doubt has philosophical implications, raising questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation in determining the behavior of particles.