Wave function description and Schrödinger's equation

In summary, the conversation is about the wave function in physics. The formula for the wave function is discussed, along with its components A, B, k, and x. The question is raised about describing the wave function at a single point, and it is explained that the wave function has a value at all points and gives the probability of presence at each point. The conversation also touches on the solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle, with the suggestion to search online for resources to better understand the steps involved.
AleksanderPhy
Hello I am not professional at physics and new on this forum so don't be angry when I make mistakes
So my question is about wave function so is it right that ψ=Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx) where A and B are constants, k is a some constant k=√2mE/ħ^2 and x is cordinate so when we give A and B value and do little bit math work then we got number. My question is can we describe wave function on some single point ? And can you guys give my steps for solving that beadiful equation on free particle.

Physics news on Phys.org
AleksanderPhy said:
My question is can we describe wave function on some single point ?
Wave function at each point gives the probability of presence there and wave function has value at all points. If the particle is confined within a limited region the wave function is zero out of that region.

Thank you very much

hokhani said:
Wave function at each point gives the probability of presence

Actually, it is ##\psi^*\psi## (that is, ##\psi^*## (the complex conjugate of ##\psi##) times ##\psi##) that gives the probability density. In this case, ##\psi## is real, not complex, so ##\psi^*\psi = \psi^2##.

AleksanderPhy said:
And can you guys give my steps for solving that beadiful equation on free particle.

A Google search for "solution of schrodinger equation for free particle" finds many web pages which give the derivation. Choose one and study it. If you don't understand some of the steps, tell us which ones and someone will probably help you. :biggrin:

Likes Vinay080
Thank you two Your tips helped me a loot

Related to Wave function description and Schrödinger's equation

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical function that describes the behavior and properties of a quantum system, such as a particle. It contains all the information about the system's position, momentum, and other observable quantities.

2. What is the significance of Schrödinger's equation?

Schrödinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time. It allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems and has been instrumental in the development of many technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

3. How is the wave function related to probability?

The wave function is related to probability through the Born rule, which states that the probability of finding a particle in a particular location is equal to the square of the magnitude of its wave function at that location. In other words, the wave function represents the probability amplitude of a particle being in a certain state or location.

4. Can the wave function of a quantum system be observed directly?

No, the wave function itself cannot be observed directly. It is a mathematical concept that represents the state of a quantum system. However, we can indirectly measure and observe its effects, such as the probabilities of different outcomes in an experiment.

5. Is the wave function deterministic or probabilistic?

The wave function is probabilistic. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state or location, rather than determining its exact position or properties. The probabilistic nature of the wave function is a key aspect of quantum mechanics and sets it apart from classical physics.