New Hubble Measurements Challenge Physicists: Space May be Smooth

• Thread starter Chagur
  • Start date
In summary, new measurements of the universe using the Hubble telescope are causing some consternation among physicists as they suggest that space may actually be smooth rather than discrete. There is still much work to be done and many unanswered questions, including the completion of the theory of quantum gravity. One proposed explanation for the phenomenon is that time and space might vary together at the Planck scale, while another suggests that the smearing may be too small to detect due to the incredibly small Planck length.
Chagur
New measurements of the universe using the Hubble is causing
some consternation among physicists ... Space may be smooth!

See: http://www.nature.com/nsu/030324/030324-13.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting article, thanks.
As the article says, there's still much work to be done and still much that is not understood.
Can someone here please complete the theory of quantum gravity? I'd like this resolved soon, please. :wink:

I've correctly completed the theory of quantum gravity years ago. It was a subset of my Theory Of Everything. I'd post it here, but my dog at my notes. :wink:
You'd be surprised at how much everything depends upon the existence of blue orangutans.

The last paragraph of the article speaks well to possible explanations for the phenomenon within discrete theory:
One is that time and space might vary together at the Planck scale, keeping beams of starlight in their original formation. The other is that the wobbles might reflect the Planck length squared - about 10-60 metres [squared] - making the smearing undetectably small.

1. What are the new Hubble measurements?

The new Hubble measurements refer to recent data collected by the Hubble Space Telescope, a powerful instrument used by astronomers to study the universe. These measurements challenge previous theories about the smoothness of space.

2. How do the new measurements challenge physicists?

The new Hubble measurements challenge physicists because they contradict the widely accepted theory that space is smooth and uniform on large scales. The data suggests that there may be variations in the density of matter and energy in the universe, which could have significant implications for our understanding of the cosmos.

3. What does it mean for space to be smooth?

In physics, smoothness refers to the uniformity of a space on large scales. This means that the density of matter and energy should be consistent throughout the universe. The new Hubble measurements suggest that this may not be the case, and there may be variations in the density of matter and energy across the universe.

4. What are the potential implications of these new measurements?

If the new Hubble measurements are confirmed, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could challenge current theories about the Big Bang and the formation of galaxies, and may require a rethinking of the fundamental principles of physics.

5. How will scientists further investigate these findings?

Scientists will continue to analyze the data from the Hubble Space Telescope and conduct further observations to confirm these new measurements. They will also use other tools and instruments, such as the James Webb Space Telescope, to gather more data and gain a better understanding of the universe and its properties.