Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] wave equation soln check and plot question

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u_{tt} & = & c^2u_{xx}\\
u(0,t) & = & 0\\
u_x(L,t) & = & 0\\
u(x,0) & = & \frac{x}{L}\\
u_t(x,0) & = & 0

\end{alignat*}

Let's start with $u_t(x,0) = 0$. Then
$$
u_t(x,0) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}B_n\frac{\pi c}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right] = 0.
$$
That is, $B_n = 0$. Using the first initial condition, we have
$$
u(x,0) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}A_n\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right] = \frac{x}{L}.
$$
Now we can solve for the Fourier coefficient $A_n$.
\begin{alignat*}{3}
A_n & = & \frac{2}{L^2}\int_0^{\pi}x\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]dx\\
& = & \left.\frac{-4(2n + 1)x\pi\cos\left[\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\frac{\pi x}{L}\right] + 8L\sin\left[\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\frac{\pi x}{L}\right]}{L\pi^2(2n + 1)^2}\right|_0^{\pi}\\
& = & \frac{8\cos n\pi + 4(2n + 1)\pi\sin n\pi}{\pi^2(2n + 1)^2}\\
& = & \frac{8(-1)^n}{\pi^2(2n + 1)^2}
\end{alignat*}
So the solution is
$$
u(x,t) = \frac{8}{\pi^2}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n + 1)^2}\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]\cos\left[\frac{\pi ct}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right].
$$
When $L = \pi$ and $c = 1$, we have $u(x,t) = \frac{8}{\pi^2}\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n + 1)^2}\sin\left[x\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]\cos\left[t\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]$.

Plot the bar displacement distribution at 10 equally-spaced times during one period of oscillation. What is this asking me to do?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u_{tt} & = & c^2u_{xx}\\
u(0,t) & = & 0\\
u_x(L,t) & = & 0\\
u(x,0) & = & \frac{x}{L}\\
u_t(x,0) & = & 0

\end{alignat*}

Let's start with $u_t(x,0) = 0$. Then
$$
u_t(x,0) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}B_n\frac{\pi c}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right] = 0.
$$
That is, $B_n = 0$. Using the first initial condition, we have
$$
u(x,0) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}A_n\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right] = \frac{x}{L}.
$$
Now we can solve for the Fourier coefficient $A_n$.
\begin{alignat*}{3}
A_n & = & \frac{2}{L^2}\int_0^{\pi}x\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]dx\\
& = & \left.\frac{-4(2n + 1)x\pi\cos\left[\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\frac{\pi x}{L}\right] + 8L\sin\left[\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\frac{\pi x}{L}\right]}{L\pi^2(2n + 1)^2}\right|_0^{\pi}\\
& = & \frac{8\cos n\pi + 4(2n + 1)\pi\sin n\pi}{\pi^2(2n + 1)^2}\\
& = & \frac{8(-1)^n}{\pi^2(2n + 1)^2}
\end{alignat*}
So the solution is
$$
u(x,t) = \frac{8}{\pi^2}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n + 1)^2}\sin\left[\frac{\pi x}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]\cos\left[\frac{\pi ct}{L}\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right].
$$
When $L = \pi$ and $c = 1$, we have $u(x,t) = \frac{8}{\pi^2}\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n + 1)^2}\sin\left[x\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]\cos\left[t\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\right]$.

Plot the bar displacement distribution at 10 equally-spaced times during one period of oscillation. What is this asking me to do?
What is "the bar"? Are you solving the wave equation on a bar of some sort?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Find how long one period of the motion is (call it T) then at each T/10 find out what u(x, t) is. ie. You'll have a plot of x vs u(x, NT/10) (where N is a number between 1 and 10) for each N.

That's my 2 cents.

-Dan

PS The summation looks a lot nicer if you use [tex]sin(2X) = 2~sin(X)~cos(X)[/tex]

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Find how long one period of the motion is (call it T) then at each T/10 find out what u(x, t) is. ie. You'll have a plot of x vs u(x, NT/10) (where N is a number between 1 and 10) for each N.

That's my 2 cents.

-Dan

PS The summation looks a lot nicer if you use [tex]sin(2X) = 2~sin(X)~cos(X)[/tex]
Do you know how I could construct that with Mathematica? Sine and cosine are different though. Sine has a x and cosine a t, so how can they be combined?

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Sine and cosine are different though. Sine has a x and cosine a t, so how can they be combined?
Ummm....Well....Okay, I goofed. (Doh)

Let's try this though.
[tex]sin(A)~cos(B) = \frac{1}{2} \cdot ( sin(A + B) + sin(A - B) )[/tex]

So the trig function part of the summation gives
[tex]\sin \left [ (x + t) \left ( n + \frac{1}{2} \right ) \right ] + \sin \left [ (x - t) \left ( n + \frac{1}{2} \right ) \right ] [/tex]

I like this form better because it reminds me of the good old-fashioned wave packet stuff they made me learn in Quantum.

Mathematica says the series converges. I haven't tried to plot anything, but the series looks like it ought to behave well. Maybe you can just use the first few n's to approximate the shape?

-Dan

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Ummm....Well....Okay, I goofed. (Doh)

Let's try this though.
[tex]sin(A)~cos(B) = \frac{1}{2} \cdot ( sin(A + B) + sin(A - B) )[/tex]

So the trig function part of the summation gives
[tex]\sin \left [ (x + t) \left ( n + \frac{1}{2} \right ) \right ] + \sin \left [ (x - t) \left ( n + \frac{1}{2} \right ) \right ] [/tex]

Mathematica says the series converges. I haven't tried to plot anything, but the series looks like it ought to behave well. Maybe you can just use the first few n's to approximate the shape?

-Dan
That is d'Almbert's solution. I am aware of it. My true problem is the plotting in Mathematica software.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
How will the period be determined? Wont it be different at each time step?

Code:
Nmax = 50;
L = Pi;
c = 1;
\[Lambda] = Table[Pi/L*(n + 1/2), {n, 1, Nmax}];
MyTime = Table[t, {t, 1, 10, 1}];
f[x_] = x;

A = Table[
   2/L*Integrate[f[x]*Sin[\[Lambda][[n]]*x], {x, 0, L}], {n, 1, Nmax}];
u[x_, t_] = 
  Sum[Sin[x*\[Lambda][[n]]]*Cos[t*\[Lambda][[n]]], {n, 1, Nmax}];
Plot[u[x, MyTime], {x, 0, .135}, PlotStyle -> {Red}, PlotRange -> All,
  AspectRatio -> 3/4]
hw7problem2.jpg

Last edited:

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
That is d'Almbert's solution. I am aware of it. My true problem is the plotting in Mathematica software.
That is a problem. As I'm sure you've realized there is no wavelength for the wave packet as n goes to infinity.

Perplexing.

-Dan

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
That is a problem. As I'm sure you've realized there is no wavelength for the wave packet as n goes to infinity.

Perplexing.

-Dan
I have something but I am not sure if it is right. See my first previous post.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
I have something but I am not sure if it is right. See my first previous post.
Sorry. I'm not sure what you are working on.

-Dan

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012