Wave equation, general solution, cylindrical symmetry

In summary, the general solutions to the wave equation depend on the spatial coordinate. For one linear coordinate, the solution is expressed as a combination of two functions, while for one radial spherical coordinate, it is expressed as a combination of Bessel's functions. However, for a radial cylindrical coordinate, the solution is not as straightforward and requires Bessel's functions and a logarithmic term. This solution only applies to the static case and is more difficult to solve compared to the spherical case. In 2D polar coordinates, Bessel's functions are used to represent the solution, which is more complicated than the 3D case.
lalbatros
I was interrested in the general solutions to the wave equation depending on only one spatial coordinate.

For one linear coordinate, the general solution is:
a f(x-ct) + b g(x+ct)​

For one radial spherical coordinate, the general solution is:
a f(r-ct)/r + b g(r+ct)/r​

I thought that for a radial cylindrical coordinate, the solution would be:
a f(r-ct)*Log(r) + b g(r+ct)*Log(r)​

Yet I found this is not a solution since I got this residual for the wave equation:
D²(f(r-ct)/r) = a (2+Log(r))*f'(r-ct)/r + b (2+Log(r))*g'(r+ct)/r​

This would indicate that the cylindrical solution applies only to the static case.

Any comment on this surprise?
Did I do a mistake in the calculations, of does that instead mean something?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The complete wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}=c^2\left[\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\left(\rho\frac{\partial u}{\partial \rho}\right)+\frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial \theta^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial z^2}\right][/tex]

But if you want a symmetry around the z-axis, you can suppose that the function is constant for [tex]\theta[/tex] and z, so you get the equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}=\frac{c^2}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\left(\rho\frac{\partial u}{\partial \rho}\right)[/tex]

Which look like the spherical coordinates version but is much more difficult to solve. In fact, this is the wave equation in 2D polar coordinates.

The solution to this equation uses Bessel's functions, which are represented by Taylor series, not a closed form. It's strange that the solution in 2D is much more complicated that the solution in 3D.

(warning: my post does not really contribute anything meaningful to the discussion)
GPPaille said:
The solution to this equation uses Bessel's functions.
I was under the impression that the solution to this equation was what defined bessel functions. I could be wrong, though.

siyphsc: Yes, but I forgot to mention that this not gives a general solution, but only the steady state solution. So this says that the solution [tex]u(\rho,t)[/tex] is separable:

[tex]u(\rho,t)=u_s(\rho)u_t(t)[/tex]

Bessel's functions are modes in a cylindrical space for the radial component, like sinusoidal functions are modes in a 1D space.

In Landau and Lifgarbagez, Fluid Mechanics book, it gives as a general solution to the wave equation with cylindrical symmetry (Section 71):

\begin{equation}
\psi = \int_{ct-\rho}^{ct+\rho}\frac{F(\xi)}{\sqrt{\rho^2-(\xi-ct)^2}}
\end{equation}

The way he derives this form is by integrating out the z-dependence of the spherically symmetric solutions in 3D. Note that F is a general function that is found by satisfying the initial conditions of the wave.

Related to Wave equation, general solution, cylindrical symmetry

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of waves in a given medium. It is represented as d^2u/dx^2 = (1/v^2)d^2u/dt^2, where u is the displacement of the wave, x is the position, t is the time, and v is the velocity of the wave.

2. What is the general solution to the wave equation?

The general solution to the wave equation depends on the type of wave and the boundary conditions of the system. For a general solution to a one-dimensional wave equation, it can be represented as u(x,t) = f(x-vt) + g(x+vt), where f and g are arbitrary functions.

3. What does it mean to have cylindrical symmetry in relation to the wave equation?

Cylindrical symmetry means that the properties of the system do not change with respect to rotation around a given axis. In the context of the wave equation, it means that the properties of the wave do not change when viewed from different angles around a cylindrical object.

4. How is the wave equation used in physics?

The wave equation is used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It is also used to analyze the behavior of waves in various systems, such as vibrations in structures and the propagation of seismic waves.

5. What are some real-world examples of cylindrical symmetry in the wave equation?

One example of cylindrical symmetry in the wave equation is the propagation of sound waves in a cylindrical pipe. Another example is the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a cylindrical antenna. Cylindrical symmetry can also be seen in the propagation of water waves in a cylindrical tank.