Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wave equation and weird notation

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
I have $u_{tt}=u_{xx},$ $x\in\mathbb R,$ $t>0,$ $u(x,0)=0$ and $u_t(x,0)=\chi_{[-1,1]}(x).$
What does mean the last condition? In such case, how to solve the equation then?

Thanks!

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have $u_{tt}=u_{xx},$ $x\in\mathbb R,$ $t>0,$ $u(x,0)=0$ and $u_t(x,0)=\chi_{[-1,1]}(x).$
What does mean the last condition? In such case, how to solve the equation then?

Thanks!
$\chi$ is called the "characteristic function". It's an indicator function, defined as follows:

$$\chi_{A}(x)=\begin{cases}1,\quad x\in A\\ 0,\quad x\not\in A\end{cases}.$$

In your case, the function $\chi_{[-1,1]}(x)$ looks like a box function. It comes in from negative infinity at zero, bumps up to $1$ at $x=-1$, stays $1$ until $x=1$, and then drops back down to zero and stays there for the rest of the positive real axis. It looks like this.

I am not competent enough to help you solve your problem, however. Jester would be the man.

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
As Ackbach said (via his link to wolfram) convert the IC using a pair of Heaviside step functions

$u_t(0,x) = g(x) = H(x+1) - H(x-1)$

then use the D'Alembert solution

$\displaystyle u = \frac{f(x+t)+f(x-t)}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\int_{x-t}^{x+t} g(s)ds$.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Okay, I'm almost there, in this case, we have $f=0,$ the solution is just $u(x,t)=\dfrac12\displaystyle\int_{x-c}^{x+c}g(s)\,ds,$ and $g(s)$ should be expressed as the Heaviside step functions as you mentioned, but I don't know how to make it work with the D'lembert formula.

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Hint: $\displaystyle \int H(x)dx = x H(x) + c$.

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
I still don't get it very well, how to do it with $H(x+1)$ for example?

Thanks a lot!

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
$\displaystyle \int H(x+a)dx = (x+a) H(x+a) + c$

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
Okay I get that, since I have $u(x,t)=\dfrac12\displaystyle\int_{x-c}^{x+c}g(s)\,ds,$ so the solution equals $u(x,t)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}\int_{x-t}^{x+t}{\left( H(s+1)-H(s-1) \right)\,ds},$ is that what you mean?

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Yep, that it!

Hurry

May 31, 2012
Hi, I'm currently studying this because I have a test tomorrow but I don't get very well the solution, is there a way to solve it without using the Heaviside step function?