Wave equation and fourier transformation

In summary, the conversation involves finding a solution to a wave equation with given initial conditions and boundaries. The poster is trying to restrict the general solution using the given boundary conditions and is asking for clarification and help.
prehisto

Homework Statement

utt=a2uxx
Initial conditions:
1)When t=0,u=H,1<x<2 and u=0,x[itex]\notin[/itex](1<x<2)
2)When t=0,ut=H,3<x<3 and u=0,x[itex]\notin[/itex](3<x<4)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I transformed the first initial condition
[itex]\hat{u}[/itex]=1/[itex]\sqrt{2*\pi}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex] Exp[-i*[itex]\lambda[/itex]*x)*H dx=
Hi/[itex]\sqrt{2*\pi}[/itex][itex]\lambda[/itex])[Exp(-i*[itex]\lambda[/itex]2)-Exp(-i*[itex]\lambda[/itex])]

integration boundaries are from x=1 to x=2

This condiotions is clear.

Now i have to deal with the 2nd.
Thats the problematic one.

My thought is:
du/dt=[itex]\hat{u}[/itex],only with proper boundaries.
Then maybe i can find the solution to this DE,and it would be my transformed boundary condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, you really need to put more effort into writing your post. I can only guess that you're looking for a linear combination of solutions of the wave eqn that satisfies the given boundary conditions.

If that is the question, then...

1) Write out your general solution of the wave equation (carefully).

2) Show in more detail how you're trying to restrict it using the boundary conditions. I don't see you got where you did with the 1st boundary condition. (Since you didn't show enough of your work, it's difficult for me to guess where your mistakes begin.)

If [tex]\hat u(k,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int u(x,t) e^{-ikx} dx,[/tex] than [tex]\hat u_t(k,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int u_t(x,t) e^{-ikx} dx.[/tex]

Related to Wave equation and fourier transformation

What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes how waves propagate through a medium. It is a second-order partial differential equation and is used to model a variety of phenomena, including sound, light, and water waves.

What is the Fourier transformation?

The Fourier transformation is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its component frequencies. It is used to analyze signals and systems in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

How are the wave equation and Fourier transformation related?

The wave equation and Fourier transformation are closely related because the Fourier transformation can be used to solve the wave equation. By transforming the wave equation into the frequency domain, it becomes easier to solve and analyze.

What are some applications of the wave equation and Fourier transformation?

The wave equation and Fourier transformation have many practical applications, including signal processing, image processing, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetics. They are also used in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and fluid dynamics.

What are some common misunderstandings about the wave equation and Fourier transformation?

One common misunderstanding is that the wave equation and Fourier transformation are only used in physics and engineering. In reality, they have applications in a wide range of fields, including economics, biology, and even music. Another misconception is that the Fourier transformation only works for periodic functions, but it can actually be used for non-periodic functions as well.