Wave Equation after Reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of a mechanical transverse wave and its reflection from a rigid wall or free end. The original wave equation is Y=Asin(kx-wt+∅), and the reflected wave equation for a free end is commonly written as Y=Asin(wt+kx+∅). However, it can also be written as Y=Asin(-kx-wt+∅) or Y=Asin(-wt-kx-∅2). The decision of which coefficient to negate is based on making the velocity negative.
emailanmol
Hello all,

Homework Statement

We can represent a mechanical transverse wave by Y=Asin(kx-wt+∅).

Now imagine this wave traveling (towards right as velocity is positive) and meeting up with
two cases

Case 1) Rigid wall.
Case 2) Free end.

The way gets reflected completely( ignoring transmission or any other losses).

Now my question is what is the new equation of wave.?

The Attempt at a Solution

In all textbooks I have studied with, (Resnick Halliday Krane being one of them)

for equation of wave as Y=Asin(kx-wt+∅), reflected wave (from free end) is written as Y=Asin(wt+kx+∅) and (for rigid we add a phase difference of pi) to make it y=Asin(wt+kx+∅+pi).

From what I realize this is simply done to make the velocity negative.

Now my question is we could have made the velocity negative even by writing the equation as y=Asin(-kx-wt+∅) (for free end) and y=Asin(-kx-wt+∅+pi) for rigid end.

What prompts us to use the earlier mentioned equations more?
whose coefficient has to be negated to form the reflected wave and why is it so?
Also we could represent the original wave by Y=Asin(wt-kx+∅2) {∅2 is a different phase constant}

In this case what will be the equation of reflected wave(from free end)?

Will it be y=Asin(wt+kx+∅2)
or y =Asin(-wt-kx-∅2)
Thanks a ton

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To shorten the post above my question is if a wave y=Asin(kx-wt) gets reflected from a free end.(Ignore transmission or any other loses.Ideal condition)
what will be the equation of reflected wave.?

From what I know we make the velocity of original wave negative and since its reflection from free end we add a phase difference of 0.

My question is what will the new equation be

Will it be
y=Asin(kx+wt) or
y=Asin(-kx-wt) as velocity can be negated by making negative either the coefficient of x or of t.and how do we decide whose coefficient has to be negated.(Note:Bumping after 24 hours as suggested by admin)

Hello,
I haven't got an answer yet so am bumping again.

My question simply is how do we find the new equation of a wave after reflection from a free end.(No losses due to transmission or friction)

Initial equation is y = Asin(kx-wt + phi)

what is reflected wave equation

Y= ?

Related to Wave Equation after Reflection

1. What is the wave equation after reflection?

The wave equation after reflection is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a wave after it reflects off a surface. It takes into account the incident wave, the reflected wave, and the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through.

2. How is the wave equation after reflection different from the wave equation before reflection?

The wave equation after reflection takes into account the change in direction and amplitude of the wave after it reflects off a surface. This is in contrast to the wave equation before reflection, which only describes the properties of the incident wave.

3. What factors affect the wave equation after reflection?

The wave equation after reflection is affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, and the properties of the reflecting surface. These factors can determine the direction, amplitude, and phase of the reflected wave.

4. How is the wave equation after reflection used in real-world applications?

The wave equation after reflection is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in sonar systems to detect objects underwater, in seismic surveys to map underground structures, and in optical devices like mirrors and lenses to manipulate light.

5. Are there any limitations to the wave equation after reflection?

While the wave equation after reflection is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of waves, it does have limitations. It assumes a perfectly smooth and flat reflecting surface, and does not account for factors like absorption and scattering of the wave. Additionally, it is based on idealized mathematical models and may not fully capture the complexities of real-world situations.