Wave Composition - Different Amplitudes

In summary, the superposition of two waves at x = 0 results in a beat with a frequency equal to the difference between the frequencies of the two waves. This frequency is also equal to half the sum of the original frequencies. The amplitude of the beat is equal to the difference between the amplitudes of the two waves. Regardless of the amplitude differences, the formula for the beat frequency remains the same.
bobthenormal

Homework Statement

The superposition of two waves, [see attachment - it doesn't let me link the attachment because I'm new ;P] at the location x = 0 in space results in what kind of wave behavior? [As in, how often does it beat and what frequency is the sound?]

Homework Equations

Wave equations are given, general form is: Acos(kx-wt).

k = 2pi/lamda; w = 2pi/T = 2pi*f

The Attempt at a Solution

This is troublesome because I'm not sure how to work with the different amplitudes. I can't think of a way to add them, because of the different amplitudes I can't factor and get a trig identity that is easy to work with.

Essentially I have: A cos(at) + B cos(bt)

But I can rewrite it as: A cos(at) + B cos(at-ct)

= A cos(at) + B ( cos(at)cos(ct) - sin(at)sin(ct) )

= cos(at)(A + B cos(ct)) - B sin(at)sin(ct)

...etc. It just gets uglier.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.. although, I'm going to sleep right now, I'll be up in a few hours.

--Bob

Attachments

• sjps6e18_mc01_28.jpg
    sjps6e18_mc01_28.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only modification i can think of that helps a bit is:
A cos(at) + B cos(bt) = (A-B) cos(at) + B cos(at) + Bcos(bt) =
(A-B)cos(at) + 2*B cos((at-bt)/2) cos((at+bt)/2)

from where you can see a few things such as the frequency of the sound is roughly (a+b)/2 assuming a is close to b, frequency of the beats is a-b, because of the symmetry and max and min amplitudes of the beats are A+B and A-B respectively.

Argh, sorry, I don't know how you got the max and min amplitudes being separated by an a-b beat from that equation? Can you explain it a bit more? I kind of see it... but... 2Bcos((a-b)t/2)cos((a+b)t/2) + (A-B)cos(at) seems less friendly than the original equation to me... the 2B with double cos terms are a bit confusing to try to visualize.

I did realize by thinking of the phase difference, that the composition of the beat must have a 6 Hz frequency because of the relation of period and frequency... the beat obviously has a maximum at t=0, so I just have to find the next beat crest. The amount the waves become out of phase increases by increments of (1/150 - 1/156), so they come into phase every (1/150 - 1/156) seconds, which is 6 Hz. - so, is this f_beat = f_1 - f_2 always true regardless of amplitude differences? The book I have doesn't say anything about beating with different amplitude waves, so I'm not sure.

--Bob

You may look on it as a superposition of a standard 2*B amplitude beat wave and harmonic wave with constant amplitude A-B, if you imagine only the envelopes of these waves it becomes clear that the envelope of the superposed wave is the sum of them.

is this f_beat = f_1 - f_2 always true regardless of amplitude differences?

It is.
beats.png

Related to Wave Composition - Different Amplitudes

1. What is wave composition?

Wave composition refers to the combination of multiple waves with different amplitudes to form a complex wave pattern.

2. How is amplitude measured in a wave?

Amplitude is the measurement of the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position. It is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or centimeters.

3. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in a wave?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to the energy carried by the wave. This means that a wave with a higher amplitude will have more energy than a wave with a lower amplitude.

4. How does changing the amplitude affect the characteristics of a wave?

Changing the amplitude of a wave can affect its frequency, wavelength, and speed. A higher amplitude can result in a higher frequency and shorter wavelength, while a lower amplitude can result in a lower frequency and longer wavelength.

5. Can different amplitudes be combined to form a new wave?

Yes, different amplitudes can be combined to form a new wave. This is known as wave superposition, where the individual waves retain their own characteristics while also creating a new overall wave pattern.