Wave Amplitude and Knot Movement

In summary, a 4.0 Hz wave with an amplitude of 12 cm and a wavelength of 30.0 cm travels along a stretched string. To determine the distance traveled in a time interval of 3.0 s, the formula x = λ x (time/frequency) can be used, resulting in a distance of 3.6 m. For a knot on the string, which reaches its amplitude peak four times each second, the distance traveled can be calculated by considering that the amplitude is reached 4 times in a second, and the time interval is 3 seconds. This results in a distance of 14.4 cm.
Hughey85
A 4.0 Hz wave with an amplitude of 12 cm and a wavelength of 30.0 cm travels along a stretched string.

(a) How far does the wave travel in a time interval of 3.0 s?
m

(b) How far does a knot on the string travel in the same time interval?
m

I got the answer to part (a) by using: x= lambda x (time/frequency)
The answer I got for it was 3.6 m.
I don't know what to do for part (b) Something to do with the amplitude, but I'm not sure...pls help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that a knot on the string reaches its amplitude peak four times each second. (also remember that a point on a string is not displaced horizontally when the string undergoes wave motion).

ok...so, how would I figure (b) out? Since the amplitude is reached 4 times in a second, and the time interval is 3 seconds, and the amplitude is 12 cm, how would you figure out the distance traveled?

Just a small refrase of your last message:

you reach the amplitude of 12 cm 4 times per second for an interval of 3 seconds...

This might enable you to see the answer...

Regards,
Leo

Related to Wave Amplitude and Knot Movement

What is wave amplitude?

Wave amplitude refers to the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position of a wave. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the wave.

What causes wave amplitude to change?

Several factors can cause wave amplitude to change, including changes in the energy or force producing the wave, changes in the medium through which the wave is traveling, and interactions with other waves.

How is wave amplitude measured?

Wave amplitude is typically measured using units of distance, such as meters or centimeters. It can be measured by taking the difference between the highest and lowest points of a wave, or by using specialized instruments such as an oscilloscope.

What is the relationship between wave amplitude and wave frequency?

Wave amplitude and wave frequency are inversely related. This means that as wave amplitude increases, wave frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the wave equation: wave speed = wave frequency x wavelength.

Why is wave amplitude important in practical applications?

Wave amplitude is important in practical applications because it affects the strength and intensity of the wave. For example, in telecommunications, a higher amplitude wave can carry more information and travel longer distances. In medicine, the amplitude of sound waves is used to create images of internal body structures in ultrasound imaging.