Wattage: Understanding Output for Wireless Devices

In summary, microwave wattage is determined by the power output of the device, which is designed to emit electromagnetic waves at a specific frequency. Microwave ovens use a more powerful electromagnetic wave generator (magnetron) than wireless devices, which allows them to heat food. The microwaves stimulate water molecules in the food, causing increased vibrational motion of the atoms and molecules, resulting in heating. The frequency at which the microwave oven operates can affect heating efficiency, as higher frequencies may not stimulate water molecules as effectively.
mjwolf
microwave wattage...

How is output wattage determined for wireless devices? For example, microwave ovens emit sound waves at similar fequency to wireless devices, yet they cook food. I know my cell phone is at 2.5 ghz, but the wattage output is so low that it supposedly does not affect me. My wireless router at home is at 5GHZ.

Do ovens simply concentrate these microwaves? Is something else going on?

TIA

Mike-

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not am expert but I think I may have something for you.

One thing though, microwaves do not emit sound waves as their mechanic for heating things up, they emit electromagnetic waves.

A microwave does concentrate the energy(it is contained within the heating area), it also has a much more powerful electromentic wave generator(in this case a magnetron) that, although produces the same frquency electromagnetic energy as your phone, it emits far greater quantities of it.

Last edited:

Originally posted by mjwolf
How is output wattage determined for wireless devices? For example, microwave ovens emit sound waves at similar fequency to wireless devices, yet they cook food. I know my cell phone is at 2.5 ghz, but the wattage output is so low that it supposedly does not affect me. My wireless router at home is at 5GHZ.

Do ovens simply concentrate these microwaves? Is something else going on?
None of those are sound waves. They are electromagnetic: like radio or light.

Power output and frequency are related only insofar as each individual photon has a specific energy level. A microwave produces 1000w or so while a cell phone a couple of miliwatts quite simply because that's what they were designed to do.

... and a microwave heats food because ...

What is the atomic/molecular-level mechanism by which the microwaves get turned into increased vibrational (rotational?) motion of the atoms/molecules? In what way is a microwave oven more 'efficient' than a grill, or a convection oven, or a saucepan on a gas fire? Does the frequency at which the microwave oven works make much difference (to the heating efficiency)?

Originally posted by Nereid
What is the atomic/molecular-level mechanism by which the microwaves get turned into increased vibrational (rotational?) motion of the atoms/molecules? In what way is a microwave oven more 'efficient' than a grill, or a convection oven, or a saucepan on a gas fire? Does the frequency at which the microwave oven works make much difference (to the heating efficiency)?

From what I know of microwaves (not much), the microwaves themselves stimulate the water molecules in the food, like boiling water on an oven. The reason higher-frequency waves (like gamma, x-ray) do not do the same effect is because they simply punch through the food and don't stimulate the water molecules. I may be misconcieved though, food cooking is not really my expertise (though I can stir-fry).

Related to Wattage: Understanding Output for Wireless Devices

1. What is wattage and why is it important?

Wattage is the measurement of the amount of power being used by a device. It is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of the device, as well as impact the cost of operating it.

2. How does wattage affect the output of wireless devices?

The wattage of a wireless device is directly related to its output. Higher wattage means more power and therefore a stronger and potentially longer range signal. Lower wattage may result in weaker signal and reduced range.

3. Can wattage be adjusted on wireless devices?

In most cases, wattage cannot be manually adjusted on wireless devices. It is typically set by the manufacturer and cannot be changed by the user. However, some devices may have options for adjusting power settings or have variable power output depending on the environment.

4. How does wattage impact battery life on wireless devices?

Higher wattage can drain the battery on a wireless device faster, as it requires more power to operate. Lower wattage can extend battery life, but may also result in weaker signal and reduced performance.

5. Is there a recommended wattage for wireless devices?

The recommended wattage for a wireless device will vary depending on its intended use and environment. In general, it is important to balance power and efficiency to achieve optimal performance. It is best to consult the device's manual or the manufacturer for specific recommendations.