Waterslide and Energy Conservation

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation that involved the conservation of energy and the use of the initial and final points of a movement. They found that the answer was incorrect because they used an incorrect value for the gravitational force.
minimario

Homework Statement

O935WaF.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) By the conservation of energy, we use points A and C as the initial and final, ## \frac{1}{2} m v^2 - \frac{1}{2} m 2.5^2= (m)(g)(9.76) \Rightarrow v = 14.1 m/s ##

(b) Since ## W_{nc} = \Delta KE - \Delta PE, W = -\frac{1}{2} \cdot 80 \cdot 13.8^2 = --7952 J ##

(c) F = W / d = 146 N

(d)

I do not know what to do for part (D). Can somebody check if parts A-C are correct and give maybe a start at part D?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
minimario said:

Homework Statement

O935WaF.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) By the conservation of energy, we use points A and C as the initial and final, ## \frac{1}{2} m v^2 = (m)(g)(9.76) \Rightarrow v = 13.8 m/s ##

(b) Since ## W_{nc} = \Delta KE - \Delta PE, W = -\frac{1}{2} \cdot 80 \cdot 13.8^2 = -7618 J ##

(c) F = W / d = 152 N

(d)

I do not know what to do for part (D). Can somebody check if parts A-C are correct and give maybe a start at part D?

Part a): I think you forgot about the rider/sled's initial kinetic energy. Recall that the rider/sled leaves point A after being pushed with a speed of 2.5 m/s.

Parts b) and c): Conceptually, they look correct to me, but you'll have to redo them since they rely on the answer from part a).

Part d): I think it's asking you to calculate the normal force.

I have fixed A-C. Is the answer to part D 771?

minimario said:
I have fixed A-C. Is the answer to part D 771?
I suppose it depends on how many significant figures you are using to represent g. But if you are using 9.8 m/s2 for g, then yes, I think that's right.

(if you're using 9.81 m/s2 for g, there may be a very minor rounding error)

By the way, for part c), the water also provides a vertical force that counteracts gravity. So there's the horizontal force that you calculated above, and also this vertical force.

I'm not sure if your textbook wants you to consider that too, but technically it is a part of the total force that the water exerts on the sled. So you might want to find the magnitude of the vector sum and use that as the answer for part c).

Related to Waterslide and Energy Conservation

1. How does a waterslide conserve energy?

Waterslides conserve energy through the use of gravitational potential energy and friction. The initial height of the slide provides potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as the rider slides down. Friction between the rider and the slide helps to slow down the rider and prevent them from losing too much potential energy. Additionally, many modern waterslide designs incorporate twists and turns, which use the rider's momentum to keep them moving forward and conserve energy.

2. Are there any specific features of a waterslide that contribute to energy conservation?

Yes, there are several features that can help a waterslide conserve energy. These include the angle of the slide, the material it is made of, and the presence of twists and turns. A steeper angle allows for more potential energy to be converted into kinetic energy, while smoother materials like fiberglass reduce friction and help the rider maintain their speed. Twists and turns can also help to conserve energy by using the rider's momentum to keep them moving forward.

3. How does the weight of a rider affect energy conservation on a waterslide?

The weight of a rider can have a significant impact on energy conservation on a waterslide. Heavier riders will have more potential energy at the top of the slide, and this energy will be converted into kinetic energy as they slide down. However, they will also experience more friction as they slide, which can slow them down and reduce the amount of energy conserved. On the other hand, lighter riders may have less potential energy, but they will also experience less friction and may be able to conserve more energy.

4. Can waterslides be designed to be more energy-efficient?

Yes, waterslides can be designed to be more energy-efficient. As mentioned before, factors like slide angle, materials, and twists and turns can all contribute to energy conservation. Engineers and designers can also use computer simulations and other tools to optimize the design of a waterslide for maximum energy conservation. Additionally, implementing measures like solar panels to power the water pumps and using recycled materials in construction can also make waterslides more energy-efficient.

5. How does water play a role in energy conservation on waterslides?

Water is a crucial factor in energy conservation on waterslides. Without water, riders would experience much more friction and would not be able to maintain their speed as they slide down. The water also helps to cool down the slide, reducing heat energy and preventing the slide from becoming too hot and slowing down riders. Additionally, some waterslides incorporate water jets and pumps to help propel riders, reducing the amount of potential energy needed at the top of the slide.