Water temperature change per minute

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the change in water temperature in a PVC pipe. The pipe is 1.2m long, filled with 1 meter of water, and has an inside diameter of 12 inches and an outside diameter of 13 inches. The pipe is kept in a 20 degree C room and is taken outside for 30 minutes before being brought back in. A thin piece of plastic is used to keep the sun off the water and the desired temperature is 20 degrees. The outside temperature is 100 F and the person is seeking help in calculating the rate of temperature change. There are various factors to consider such as thermal mass, thermal conductivity, sunlight, air temperature, wind speed, and surroundings. It
wimbot XR
I need to know how much the water temperature will change in a PVC pipe.

I have a 1.2m long PVC pipe filled to 1 meter of water. The inside diameter is 12 inches and the outside diameter is 13 inches. I have a plastic end cap on the bottom and the pipe stands up vertically. I keep it in a 20 degree C room and take it outside for 30 minutes then bring it back in. I lay a thin piece of plastic on top to keep the sun off the water. I want the temperature to stay at 20 degrees. Let's say the temperature outside is 100 F. How do I calculate how fast the temperature will change? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
There are a lot of variables to consider. The thermal mass of the water and pipe, the thermal conductivity of the pipe, the amount of sunshine, air temperature, wind speed, the color of the ground the pipe is on, is the pipe near a wall, etc. etc. It would be a lot easier to leave the pipe out for 30 minutes and measure the temperature change and then use that to decide how long to leave the pipe out for.

Related to Water temperature change per minute

What is water temperature change per minute?

Water temperature change per minute is the rate at which the temperature of water changes over the course of one minute. It is typically measured in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

What factors affect water temperature change per minute?

Several factors can affect water temperature change per minute, including the initial temperature of the water, the temperature of the surrounding environment, the volume of water, and the presence of any external heat sources or cooling agents.

How is water temperature change per minute measured?

Water temperature change per minute can be measured using a thermometer or other temperature-sensing device. The thermometer is typically placed in the water and the temperature is recorded at regular intervals, usually every minute, to determine the rate of change.

Why is water temperature change per minute important?

Water temperature change per minute is important because it can impact the survival and health of aquatic organisms, the effectiveness of chemical reactions, and the efficiency of heating and cooling systems. It can also be an indicator of changes in the environment, such as climate change.

Can water temperature change per minute be controlled?

Yes, water temperature change per minute can be controlled by adjusting the initial temperature of the water, regulating the surrounding environment, and using heating or cooling methods to achieve the desired rate of change. However, certain external factors, such as weather conditions, may also impact the rate of change.