Water slide energy dissipation problem

In summary: J / 25 s = 426.5 WIn summary, a man weighing 50kg goes down a 25m tall waterslide at a water park. Despite attempts to minimize friction, there is still some friction between the man and the slide. If he shoots out at a speed of 8.0m/s instead of the calculated 22.1m/s, the amount of energy dissipated by friction is 10662.5 J, representing approximately 87% of his initial total energy. The average power dissipated by friction during the 25s trip down the slide is 426.5 W.
psruler
Can anyone help me get started with this problem:

A 50kg man at a water park shows off by going down a long, winding waterslide of varying slope. THe slide is a total of 25m tall from start to finish, and the man starts from rest. DEspite all the attempts to minimize friction with rushing water, there remains some friction between the man and the slide. If he shoots out of the end of the slide at only 8.0m/s instead of the speed you found in part (a) how many joules of energy were dissipated by friction on his way down? what percentage of his initial total energy does this represent?

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
At the end of the slide the potential energy equals the kinstic energy of the man plus the lost energy due to friction.

You can find out the kinetic energy because you know the man's wight and final speed. And also the potential energy because you know the height from which he started.
I suppose you solved point (a) already :smile:

Hi Guybrush Threepwood,
Ok for part (a) i got 22.1 m/s for the final speed when he reaches the end of the slide. I don't know if that is correct and i used this formula: v=2gh^1/2. Also, friction is neglected at this part.

the second question is asking how many joules of energy were dissipated by friction and i got, 12050J. I used this equation to get that answer, mgh = 1/2mv^2 + Fd, where F is the friction force. Is that right and how do i figure the percentage of his initial total energy?

thanks!

well I got :
mgh = 50*9.81*25 = 12262.5 J
mv2/2 = 50*64/2 = 1600 J

so the energy loss to friction is 10662.5 J. Check again anyway...

ther percentage is really easy though:
(energy lost / total energy)*100 = aprox 87%

Also can you help me on one more question:

if his trip down the slide took a total of 25s, what was the average power dissipated by fricton, in watts?

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN!

power = energy / time

Related to Water slide energy dissipation problem

1. What is the "Water slide energy dissipation problem"?

The "Water slide energy dissipation problem" refers to the issue of efficiently converting the potential energy of a person going down a water slide into kinetic energy. This is important for safety reasons and to ensure a smooth ride for the person on the slide.

2. What factors affect energy dissipation on a water slide?

The main factors that affect energy dissipation on a water slide are the slope of the slide, the surface material of the slide, and the weight and speed of the person going down the slide. Additionally, factors such as water flow and friction also play a role in energy dissipation.

3. How can energy dissipation on water slides be improved?

Energy dissipation on water slides can be improved by using materials with higher friction coefficients, adjusting the slope of the slide to slow down the person's speed, and adding features such as curves or bumps to increase friction and decrease speed. The use of water flow and splash pools can also help to dissipate energy.

4. Why is energy dissipation important on water slides?

Energy dissipation is important on water slides for safety reasons. If too much energy is not dissipated, the person on the slide can reach dangerously high speeds, potentially leading to injuries. Additionally, proper energy dissipation ensures a smoother and more enjoyable ride on the slide.

5. How can scientists and engineers address the water slide energy dissipation problem?

Scientists and engineers can address the water slide energy dissipation problem by conducting research and experiments to better understand the factors that affect energy dissipation on water slides. They can also develop new materials and designs that improve energy dissipation and work with water park designers and operators to implement these solutions.