Water requirement to extinguish fire ?

• Thread starter davekardle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire Water
In summary, the conversation is about determining the water requirement for a tire fire based on the caloric value of the tires, specific heat and latent heat of water, and the weight and quantity of the tires. It is mentioned that using water may not be feasible and other methods, such as smothering, may be more effective. The US EPA recommends having a water supply of 1000-2000 gallons per minute available for at least 6 hours when fighting a tire fire.
davekardle
My job is to come up with the water requirement for a supposed
tire fire. Given tyre caloric value 2800KJ/kg
and for water Cp= 4200J/Kg.K and Latent heat: 2260 KJ/kg.
Tyre weight: 5.6KG
Stockpile containing: Half million tyres.

I came up with some ridiculous high numbers but I think they are all wrong.
Do I have all the figures I need to calculate it or is it anything missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is just a side issue but I think a firefighter would find the problem statement to be absurd. What would matter is HOW the water is delivered. If a solid high-pressure stream, you've got one situation but if a fine mist over the whole area, quite a different one.

You could with calculations determine the minimum amount of water to extinguish a fire.

Fire burns on the outside surface where the temperature has become high enough for vaporization of the fuel. In liquid or solid form the fuel does not burn ( in most cases )

Water acts to lower the temperature of the fuel so as to limit vaporization ( and at times the steam can also deprive the fire of oxygen and will smother the fire but that is not the objective with water). A lot of the water used will be to keep the rest of the fuel cool so that the fire hot spot does not spread and become larger.

some of the water directed at a hot spot will not reach it - ie for example debris may be in the way causing a deflection.

If you have two candles, a birthday candle and a taller dining table candle which one is harder to put out. Does the amount of candle in solid form bear in how hard the candle fire is to put out?

there is no way to tell exactly how much water will be needed - just have lots of water available.

256bits said:
You could with calculations determine the minimum amount of water to extinguish a fire.

Fire burns on the outside surface where the temperature has become high enough for vaporization of the fuel. In liquid or solid form the fuel does not burn ( in most cases )

Water acts to lower the temperature of the fuel so as to limit vaporization ( and at times the steam can also deprive the fire of oxygen and will smother the fire but that is not the objective with water). A lot of the water used will be to keep the rest of the fuel cool so that the fire hot spot does not spread and become larger.

some of the water directed at a hot spot will not reach it - ie for example debris may be in the way causing a deflection.

If you have two candles, a birthday candle and a taller dining table candle which one is harder to put out. Does the amount of candle in solid form bear in how hard the candle fire is to put out?

there is no way to tell exactly how much water will be needed - just have lots of water available.

I've researched Some real tire fire cases ( having over 1/2 million of tires) and saw that the fire brigade claim that using water isn't feasible as millions of cubic meter would be necessary so they just leave the tires burning. The thing is I don't know what to do with these figures my lecturers gave me. ( Calorific values of tyres and specific heat/latent heat of water). Any ideas ?

davekardle said:
I've researched Some real tire fire cases ( having over 1/2 million of tires) and saw that the fire brigade claim that using water isn't feasible as millions of cubic meter would be necessary so they just leave the tires burning. The thing is I don't know what to do with these figures my lecturers gave me. ( Calorific values of tyres and specific heat/latent heat of water). Any ideas ?

This isn't simple, a lower limit might be able to be calculated fairly easily. Essentially if he's giving you a specific heat / latent heat value he's probably wanting you to get the temperature of the tires below the self-ignition temperature of the tires which is ~400 C. Also tires have a high heat capacity, so you probably going to take a lot of water.

I'd figure out an approximate temp for the fire and then use an energy balance to calculate how much water would be needed to sap the energy from the tires that I want to get out of them. (Test is the estimated temp average temp of the tires)

mass of water*specific heat water*(100 C - 25 C) + latent heat of vaporization of water * kg of water - tiremass*heat capacity of tires*(Test - 400) = 0

Also this assumes you are saturating the entire surface area of every tire so no additional reaction takes place. If the reaction continues that adds heat to the energy balance that needs to be taken into account.

assuming water starts at 25 C it will heat to 100 C then vaporize, that should give you a lower bound. Test is the average temperature of the tires, just make some assumption based on the estimated temperature of the fire.

This could be made much, much, much, more complicated but any thought into a more exact answer is impractical imo.

Last edited:
With half a million tires burning, it's going to take a lot of water (thousands of tons by my back of the envelope calculations).

There may be more effective methods of controlling and ultimately extinguishing a tire fire. IMO, and having no experience as a firefighter, such a fire would be more effectively fought by some type of smothering to remove the oxygen from feeding the flames. This could be as simple as throwing sand over the tires or using certain types of AFFF (aqueous film forming foam).

The US EPA studies suggest that a water supply of 1000-2000 gallons per minute be available for at least 6 hours when fighting a tire fire, depending on the size of the tire stockpile, which is roughly equivalent to a supply of 1500-2000 tonnes of water.

Related to Water requirement to extinguish fire ?

What is the minimum amount of water needed to extinguish a fire?

The amount of water needed to extinguish a fire depends on the size and type of fire. Generally, for small fires, at least 2.5 gallons of water per minute is needed. For larger fires, the amount of water needed can range from 100-200 gallons per minute.

How does water extinguish a fire?

Water has a cooling effect on the fire, reducing the temperature and removing heat. It also creates a barrier between the fuel and the oxygen, cutting off the fire's oxygen supply and preventing it from spreading.

Can any type of water be used to extinguish a fire?

No, not all types of water are suitable for extinguishing fires. Freshwater is the most commonly used type of water, but saltwater and other types of liquids, such as foam or chemical agents, can also be used depending on the type of fire.

How long does it take to extinguish a fire with water?

The time it takes to extinguish a fire with water depends on the size and type of fire, as well as the amount of water being used. For small fires, it can take just a few seconds, while larger fires may take several minutes.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using water to extinguish a fire?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the water being used is not contaminated or unsafe to use, as this can cause further harm. It is also important to use the correct amount of water and to direct the stream of water towards the base of the fire to effectively extinguish it.