Water Proofing matches & Nobel Prize in Chemistry

In summary, a person discovered that wooden stemmed matches soaked in turpentine for 2-3 minutes become permanently waterproof. After drying overnight, they can be used to ignite even after being soaked in water. The matches do not flare up or burn fingers. The person wonders if this discovery could lead to a Nobel prize in Chemistry.
Aquafire
Made a neat little discovery.

If you put wooden stemmed matches into a cup of turpentine and leave them to soak for about two or three minutes they become permanently waterproof.

After I take them out of their turpentine bath I lay them out to dry ovenight on a sheet of newspaper.

As an experiment I have thrown a handful of such treated matches into buckets of water, left them there for a few minutes, wiped off the excess water and found that they ignite perfectly.

Great thing is their is no sudden flaring or running hot wax to burn fingers. The matches burn like regular matches even after having being soaked in water.

Do you think I will get a Nobel prize for this great advance in Chemistry ?...:wink:

Aquafire

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's pretty cool, and I'm sure Nobel prize worthy. Have you tried doing any experiments to see how long the waterproofing lasts? It would be really interesting to see how long these matches can last in water and still be functional.

: While your discovery is certainly interesting and could potentially have practical applications, it is unlikely that it would be considered groundbreaking or significant enough to warrant a Nobel Prize in Chemistry. The Nobel Prize is typically awarded for major scientific discoveries or advancements that have a significant impact on society and the field of chemistry as a whole. However, that should not diminish the value of your discovery and the potential it has for improving daily life. Keep exploring and experimenting, and who knows what other discoveries you may make in the future!

Related to Water Proofing matches & Nobel Prize in Chemistry

1. How does water proofing matches work?

Water proofing matches involves coating the matchstick with a substance that repels water, such as wax or paraffin. This prevents the match from getting wet and losing its ability to ignite.

2. Why is water proofing matches important?

Water proofing matches is important because it allows them to be used in wet or damp conditions, making them more reliable for outdoor activities such as camping or survival situations.

3. What is the Nobel Prize in Chemistry and why is it relevant to water proofing matches?

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry is an international award given to individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of chemistry. Water proofing matches falls under the category of materials chemistry, which has been recognized with Nobel Prizes in the past.

4. Has anyone won the Nobel Prize for their work on water proofing matches?

No, as of 2021, no one has won the Nobel Prize specifically for their work on water proofing matches. However, researchers who have contributed to the development of materials chemistry, including water proofing technology, have been recognized with Nobel Prizes.

5. How can water proofing matches benefit society?

Water proofing matches can benefit society by providing a reliable source of fire in wet or damp conditions, which can be crucial for survival in certain situations. It also allows for more convenient outdoor activities, such as camping or cooking, without the worry of matches getting wet and becoming unusable.