Water Mass that Will Condence out of Air Stream

In summary: Additionally, using the mass flow rate to determine heat transfer may not take into account any losses or inefficiencies in the system.
rcl5011
I am currently attempting to determine the amount (mass) of water that is condensing during a temperature change inside of a heat exchanger. Inititial Temp is 300°F, Initial Pressure is 19.696psia (5psig) in the air stream, Initial %RH is 5%. Final Temperature is 129°F and becomes 100% RH at this point. I have steam tables and can determing saturation pressures at these temperatures. Psat Initial=66.98psia, Psat Final is 2.1719psia. I know the flow rate is 936FT^3/min.

I know I can determine the actual vapor pressure by multiplying the %relative humidity by the saturation pressure, and that I need to determine the actual vapor pressure initial.

input temp of 300F = 759.67R

Partial Vapor Pressure Input= 5%(66.98psia)=3.349psia
Partial Gas Pressure Input= 19.696-3.349=16.347psia

mol fraction of vapor=[R #mole/10.73159 psi ft^3]*3.349psia*936ft^3 / 759.67R= .3849 #mol

water vapor is 18.01528#/1#mol, so 18.01528*.3849#mol= 6.927#

So we can expect to have 6.927# of water condensing onto my heat exchanger coils every minute. What I will now do it use this mass flow rate to determine the heat transfer from condensation onto the coils by using Q=m*Δh, and I can determine the Air(gas) mass flow rate the same way as I just did the vapor, and use Q=m*CpΔT in order to find heat transfer from from gas contact with coils. total heat transfer would be the sum of the two Q's. My question is it reasonable to assume that if the exchanger coils are long enough, All 6.927# of water will condense every minute as long as the output temperature on the heat exchanger drops below the dew point? Again, thanks for all of your help.

-Ryan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is reasonable to assume that all 6.927# of water will condense per minute if the output temperature on the heat exchanger drops below the dew point. However, it is important to keep in mind that this is just an estimate and that other factors such as air velocity, surface area, and humidity may also affect the total amount of condensation.

Related to Water Mass that Will Condence out of Air Stream

What is "Water Mass that Will Condence out of Air Stream"?

"Water Mass that Will Condence out of Air Stream" refers to the amount of water vapor in the air that changes from a gaseous state to a liquid state, also known as condensation. This process occurs when the air reaches its dew point, which is the temperature at which the air is saturated with water vapor and cannot hold any more.

What factors affect the amount of water that will condense out of an air stream?

The amount of water that will condense out of an air stream depends on several factors, including the temperature and humidity of the air, as well as the air pressure and altitude. The higher the temperature and humidity, the more water vapor the air can hold, and therefore the more water that will condense out when the air cools. Higher air pressure and lower altitudes also increase the likelihood of condensation.

How does condensation play a role in the water cycle?

Condensation is an important part of the water cycle, which is the continuous movement of water between the Earth's surface and the atmosphere. When water evaporates from bodies of water and land, it enters the atmosphere as water vapor. As the air cools and reaches its dew point, the water vapor condenses into liquid water droplets, which eventually fall to the ground as precipitation. This precipitation can then be collected in bodies of water or absorbed into the ground, continuing the water cycle.

What are some common sources of water vapor in the air?

Water vapor in the air can come from a variety of sources, including evaporation from bodies of water, transpiration from plants, and human activities such as cooking, bathing, and breathing. It can also be released into the air through processes such as combustion and volcanic eruptions.

How does condensation impact our daily lives?

Condensation plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from providing us with fresh water through precipitation, to influencing weather patterns and creating clouds. It also helps regulate the Earth's temperature by absorbing heat from the sun. However, condensation can also cause problems such as mold growth and water damage if it occurs in unwanted areas, such as inside our homes. Understanding the process of condensation can help us better manage and utilize this important aspect of the water cycle.