Water levels in Fukushima reactors?

• Fukushima
  • Thread starter FishmanGeertz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levels Water
In summary: The reactors lost cooling and water flow immediately after the emergency batteries died. Battery driven cooling was still available so the fuel was safe, but the amount of heat energy released was ten times greater than what happened in Fukushima when the fuel got uncovered.
FishmanGeertz
If the reactors have been without water, the core melts very quickly. The Fukashima Daiichi reactors 1-4 lost cooling and water flow shortly after the march earthquake and tsunami and the cores were exposed.

If they were unable to get water flowing back into the reactors for several days, then the reactors have undoubtedly boiled themselves dry and melted down completely within a matter of about 4-5 hours after losing cooling.

I'm not sure if I have my info straight, but how long did the reactors go without any water? I heard it was 2-3 days until they started pumping seawater into them. During the TMI (three mile island) incident, the top of the rods were exposed after only a few hours of cooling loss. This resulted in roughly 90% core damage.

Engineering news on Phys.org

FishmanGeertz said:
During the TMI (three mile island) incident, the top of the rods were exposed after only a few hours of cooling loss. This resulted in roughly 90% core damage.

TMI2 lost cooling capability immeadiatly after SCRAM. Fukushima had battery driven cooling for at least half a day, so the fuel was safe during this time period.
Because of that, heat energy during the TMI2 accident was probably ten times the amount created in Fukushima when the fuel got uncovered. (Don't take my "ten times" seriously, I'm just guessing - but that's the overall direction)

clancy688 said:
TMI2 lost cooling capability immeadiatly after SCRAM. Fukushima had battery driven cooling for at least half a day, so the fuel was safe during this time period.
Because of that, heat energy during the TMI2 accident was probably ten times the amount created in Fukushima when the fuel got uncovered. (Don't take my "ten times" seriously, I'm just guessing - but that's the overall direction)

The reactors lost cooling and water flow immediately after the emergency batteries died. The main question is how long were the reactors without cooling? How much of the core was exposed?

Related to Water levels in Fukushima reactors?

What are the current water levels in Fukushima reactors?

The current water levels in the Fukushima reactors vary depending on the specific reactor and its current state. However, in general, the water levels are being constantly monitored and maintained at a safe level to prevent further nuclear reactions or leaks.

How are the water levels in Fukushima reactors being controlled?

The water levels in Fukushima reactors are being controlled through a system called the "water injection system". This system pumps water into the reactors to cool down the nuclear fuel and prevent it from overheating or melting down.

Is there a risk of the water levels in Fukushima reactors rising too high?

Yes, there is a risk of the water levels in Fukushima reactors rising too high. If this happens, it can lead to the release of radioactive water into the environment. To prevent this, the water levels are constantly monitored and controlled.

What is being done with the contaminated water in Fukushima reactors?

The contaminated water in Fukushima reactors is being treated and stored in tanks on site. Some of the water is also being released into the ocean after undergoing a purification process to remove most of the radioactive substances.

How long will it take for the water levels in Fukushima reactors to be completely stabilized?

It is difficult to determine an exact timeline for the stabilization of water levels in Fukushima reactors. It depends on the progress of the clean-up and decommissioning efforts, as well as any unexpected events that may occur. However, continuous monitoring and control of the water levels will continue until the reactors are fully decommissioned.