Water flow through a perforated plate

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the water flow from one tank to another through a perforated plate. The individual is seeking a formula and has found a calculation for water discharge through submerged orifices, but it does not take into account the different gravity pressures and sizes of the holes. They want equal water discharge from each hole and may need to adjust the hole sizes. The individual is not an expert in related fields and provides a link for further reference.
CaroCande
Hi,
I'm seeking the formula to calculate how water moves from one tank into another through a perforated plate driven by waterlevel compensation. I found the calculation for the discharge of water through submerged orifices, but I think the calculation does not include that holes, one above the other, have different gravity pressures and therefore different waterflows, also depending on the size of the hole. I want similar water discharge through each hole, so I have to adjust the hole size from top to bottom hole...or?
I'm not an expert in physics, mechanics, fluid dynamics etc., so I'm sorry if the diction is not quite right.
Please don't hesitate to ask when my description is to rudimental.
Cheers

Attachments

• Water flow.png
    Water flow.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 641
Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Water flow through a perforated plate

1. How does a perforated plate affect the flow of water?

The presence of holes in a perforated plate creates turbulence in the flow of water, which can increase or decrease the velocity and pressure of the water depending on the size and spacing of the holes.

2. What factors affect the flow rate of water through a perforated plate?

The size and spacing of the holes, the pressure drop across the plate, and the viscosity of the fluid all play a role in determining the flow rate of water through a perforated plate.

3. Is the flow of water through a perforated plate uniform?

No, the flow of water through a perforated plate is not uniform due to the presence of holes and the resulting turbulence. However, the flow can be made more uniform by adjusting the size and spacing of the holes.

4. How can the flow rate of water through a perforated plate be measured?

The flow rate of water through a perforated plate can be measured using methods such as volumetric flow rate measurement or pressure drop measurement, depending on the specific setup and equipment available.

5. What are the applications of using a perforated plate for water flow?

Perforated plates are commonly used in industrial and environmental settings to control the flow of water, such as in water treatment plants, irrigation systems, and chemical processing plants. They can also be used for flow measurement and regulation in research and laboratory experiments.