Water flow rate equation. HELP

In summary, the equation to calculate the amount of electrical power outage using a simple turbine connected to a pipe is based off of Bernoulli's principle. The equation states that the sum of the potential energy, kinetic energy and the pressure energy is constant, so by knowing these three factors, one can compute the velocity and hence the rate at which the water is flowing. Mass flow rate is determined by the dm/dt equation, which in turn is based off of the pipe's diameter and water's flow rate. Lastly, it was mentioned that a simple turbine can be used to generate electrical power, though more complicated turbines exist that may be more suitable for this particular application.
calbolan
Hi,

Me and 4 others are stumped on our HNC Electrical Project. We need an equation that calculates from the flow rate of water and diameter of a pipe, what amount of electrical power outage can be gotten by using a simple turbine connected to the pipe.

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated as we are more than struggling with the whole of this project.

Regards,

Cal

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess Bernoulli's principle could be a starting point if velocity is required...
It states that the sum of the potential energy, kinetic energy and the pressure energy is constant...
So:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2 + mgh + PV = constant

So, if the initial energy be known, we can compute the velocity and hence the rate at which the water is flowing.

Mass flow rate = dm/dt = ρ dV/dt = ρ v A, solve for v.

v = flow velocity along pipe in m/s
ρ = density, kg/m^3
A = pipe area in m^2
dm/dt = mass flow rate in kg/s
dV/dt = volumetric flow rate in m^3/s = vA

So in 1s the delivered K.E. would be 1/2 dm/dt v^2

Make sense? Not my main field but seems straightforward.

calbolan said:
Hi,

Me and 4 others are stumped on our HNC Electrical Project. We need an equation that calculates from the flow rate of water and diameter of a pipe, what amount of electrical power outage can be gotten by using a simple turbine connected to the pipe.

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated as we are more than struggling with the whole of this project.

Regards,

Cal

Hey Cal,

Per the forum rules, I can not offer any help without proof that you've attempted to figure it out on your own. Perhaps you can share some specific details about your inquiry and particular steps you've taken to solve your question?

What is the total head?
Pipe ID?
Pipe length?
Simple turbine? What kind? Turgo, Pelton, Kaplan, Banki... Water wheel?

vin

Hi Calvin,

I understand your struggle and I am happy to help. The equation you are looking for is called the hydraulic power equation. It is used to calculate the power output from a turbine based on the flow rate of water and the diameter of the pipe it is connected to. The equation is as follows:

P = Qρgh

Where:
P = power output (in watts)
Q = flow rate (in cubic meters per second)
ρ = density of water (in kilograms per cubic meter)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
h = height difference (in meters)

To use this equation, you will need to know the flow rate of water in cubic meters per second. This can be measured using a flow meter or calculated using the velocity of water and the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

Next, you will need to know the density of water, which is approximately 1000 kg/m^3.

You will also need to measure or calculate the height difference between the water source and the turbine. This could be the height of the water source above the turbine or the height of the turbine above the water level.

Once you have all of these values, you can plug them into the equation to calculate the power output of your turbine. Keep in mind that this is the theoretical maximum power output and may not account for losses due to friction and other factors.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to Water flow rate equation. HELP

1. What is the equation for water flow rate?

The equation for water flow rate is Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate in m3/s, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in m2, and v is the velocity of the water in m/s.

2. How is the equation for water flow rate derived?

The equation for water flow rate is derived from the continuity equation, which states that the mass entering a system must equal the mass exiting that system. By combining this with the definition of velocity as distance divided by time, we can derive the equation Q = A * v.

3. What are the units for the variables in the water flow rate equation?

The units for flow rate (Q) are cubic meters per second (m3/s), the units for cross-sectional area (A) are square meters (m2), and the units for velocity (v) are meters per second (m/s).

4. How does the water flow rate equation apply in real-life situations?

The water flow rate equation is used to calculate the amount of water flowing through a pipe or channel, which is important in various applications such as plumbing, irrigation, and hydraulics. It is also used in water resource management to monitor and control the flow of water in rivers and streams.

5. What are the factors that can affect the water flow rate?

The water flow rate can be affected by a variety of factors, including the diameter and shape of the pipe, the viscosity of the water, the roughness of the pipe walls, and the pressure and temperature of the water. Changes in these factors can impact the flow rate and may require adjustments to the equation to accurately calculate it.