Water dynamics, well piping help

In summary, the speaker is planning on piping a water well using gravity with a 250m run and a 3m overall fall. There is a large barrier (a hill) in the middle, but the last 100m has the majority of the fall. The question is if using a larger diameter pipe for this last 100m will increase the suction and pressure from the well to the trough. The speaker has been told that a bigger pipe will cause less friction. They also mention that the force and pressure should be the same in both sections of pipe, but the volume of water in the smaller pipe would have to be greater. They believe that a larger diameter pipe for the later section will result in more water being sucked up to
lalababa
I would like to pipe a water well ( using gravity alone) with a 250m run and an overall fall of 3m. A large barrier (a hill) is middle ways . The last 100m down the hill has most ,if not all the fall. The question is if I pipe this last 100m with a larger diameter (from 3/4" going to 1") would this increase the 'pull'/ 'suction'/ from the well and the pressure to the trough?

I have already been told the bigger pipe would cause less friction.

If force (gravity) is the same across both sections of pipe and so is the pressure then the volume of water in the smaller pipe would have to be greater? Yes?...So I am thinking that more water will be sucked up higher on the small section by making the later section a larger diameter?:biggrin: Many thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll get the siphon effect only after you get the water over the highest point.

Thanks for reply, I will try to prime all the pipe.

Related to Water dynamics, well piping help

1. What is water dynamics and why is it important?

Water dynamics refers to the movement and flow of water in a system or environment. It is important because it affects various aspects of our lives such as weather patterns, soil moisture, and the availability of water for human consumption and agriculture.

2. How does well piping work?

Well piping is a system of pipes that are used to extract water from a well. The pipes are connected to a pump that creates suction and draws water up from the well. The water then travels through the pipes and into a storage tank or directly to the point of use.

3. What are some common issues with well piping?

Some common issues with well piping include clogs or blockages in the pipes, leaks or cracks in the pipes, and pump malfunctions. These issues can lead to a decrease in water flow or contamination of the water supply.

4. How can I maintain my well piping system?

To maintain your well piping system, it is important to regularly check for any leaks or clogs, ensure that the pump is functioning properly, and clean the pipes if necessary. It is also recommended to have a professional inspection and maintenance of the system every few years.

5. What should I do if I have low water pressure from my well piping?

If you are experiencing low water pressure from your well piping system, it could be due to a clog or blockage in the pipes, a malfunctioning pump, or a low water table. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the cause and make any necessary repairs or adjustments to improve water pressure.