Water Displacement Volume question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of displaced water and how it relates to the volume of an object. The correct way to calculate the volume of the bridge is to use the height of water when the bridge is immersed minus the height of the water when the bridge is removed. The resulting volume is 0.14m^3.
akarikairi
Sorry if this is the wrong category for this.

I am mostly confused about this question because I thought that displaced water WAS the volume of any given object. I'm confused by the reasoning of the actual answer for this. Is there something I'm missing here?

View attachment 4707

Attachments

• math prob2.jpg
    math prob2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The difference between the height of water when the bridge is immersed minus the height of the water when the bridge is removed is 0.02m. This is not the volume of the bridge; you need to calculate the volume of water with a height of 0.02, a length of 3.5m and a width of 2m:

\(\displaystyle 3.5\text m\times2\text m\times0.02\text m=0.14\text m^3\)

This is the volume of the bridge.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I see it now. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Related to Water Displacement Volume question

1. What is water displacement volume?

Water displacement volume is a method used to calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped object. It involves measuring the amount of water that is displaced when the object is submerged in a container of water.

2. How does water displacement volume work?

To use the water displacement method, you first need to fill a graduated cylinder or other container with a known volume of water. Then, carefully place the object into the water and record the new volume. The difference between the initial and final volumes is the water displacement volume of the object.

3. Why is water displacement volume used?

Water displacement volume is used because it is an accurate way to measure the volume of an object that has an irregular shape. It is often used in science experiments and in industries such as manufacturing and engineering.

4. What is the formula for calculating water displacement volume?

The formula for water displacement volume is: V = Vf - Vi, where V is the volume of the object, Vf is the final volume of the water after the object is submerged, and Vi is the initial volume of the water before the object is submerged.

5. Are there any limitations to using water displacement volume?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using water displacement volume. It is only suitable for measuring the volume of objects that are insoluble in water and have an irregular shape. It is also important to make sure that the object is fully submerged and that there are no air bubbles present, as this can affect the accuracy of the measurement.