Watch LHC Operation in realtime

In summary, there is a link provided to watch the LHC operations in real time and it is currently ramping. The current status is that it is on fill 1325 and running an injection probe at 3 Tev. It is noted that this is only for the accelerator operations, not the physics involved. The energy at the moment is at 7864 GeV and there is a plot for the ATLAS integrated luminosity.
Physics news on Phys.org
Currently on fill 1325 running an injection probe at 3 Tev.
BTW: It's great to get realtime status. No more searching the news for snippets of LHC progress. Just watch it happen. Anyone else find this helpful?

I don't want to damper the enthusiasm here, but you DO know that this is simply the accelerator operations, ya? Practically ALL of the physics involved in the LHC are done at the various detectors (ATLAS, CMS, ALICE, etc.), not at the accelerator ops.

Zz.

Of course! These are machine ops. But heck, I remember sitting in control rooms many a night totally dependent on the machine team for decent beam and a decent physics run. I have a lot of respect for these guys. Accelerator physics is not particle physics for sure, but it's still dang complex.

Right now the energy is at 7864 GeV http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/, can you tell me if I'm misreading this or this is for 2 beams not one.
It just changed but if you care to answer please go ahead.

Last edited:

Related to Watch LHC Operation in realtime

1. What is the LHC and why is it important?

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN in Switzerland. It is used to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light and collide them, allowing scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the origins of the universe.

2. How does the LHC operate?

The LHC operates by using a series of superconducting magnets to accelerate particles in a circular tunnel, which measures 27 kilometers in circumference. These particles are then collided at four different interaction points where detectors capture and analyze the resulting data.

3. What kind of particles are collided in the LHC?

The LHC primarily collides protons, which are obtained from hydrogen atoms. However, it can also collide heavy ions such as lead. These collisions create extremely high energy conditions, similar to those that existed in the early universe.

4. Why is it important to watch the LHC operation in real-time?

Watching the LHC operation in real-time allows scientists to monitor the performance of the machine and make adjustments as needed. It also allows them to observe any unexpected or interesting phenomena that may occur during the collisions.

5. What are some potential discoveries that could be made through the LHC?

The LHC has the potential to discover new particles, such as the elusive Higgs boson, and provide insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy. It could also help us better understand the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and applications.