Wat are the units of angular velocity of precession?

In summary, the units of angular velocity of precession are rad^-1 s^-1 or rads per second. This can be found by using the equation \boldsymbol\omega_p = \frac{Q}{I_s\boldsymbol\omega_s} where I_s is the moment of inertia, \boldsymbol\omega_s is the angular velocity of spin, and Q is the torque. Additionally, moment of inertia is measured in mass times distance squared, angular velocity is measured in radians per second, and torque is measured in Newton-meters or kilogram meters squared per second squared.
karnten07

Homework Statement

What are the units of angular velocity of precession? I've looked evrywhere and can't find out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my answer to a question, by putting units into the equation i think I am getting units as rad^-1 s^-1 but not sure if it should be rads per second.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\boldsymbol\omega_p = \frac{Q}{I_s\boldsymbol\omega_s}[/tex]

In which [tex]I_s[/tex] is the moment of inertia, [tex]\boldsymbol\omega_s[/tex] is the angular velocity of spin about the spin axis, and [tex]Q[/tex] is the torque.

Moment of intertia is mass times distance squared.
Angular velocity is radians per second.
Torque is Newton-meters, or kilogram meters squared per second squared.

I get the same as you:

[tex]\frac{1}{rad\times s}[/tex]

Related to Wat are the units of angular velocity of precession?

1. What is angular velocity of precession?

Angular velocity of precession is a measure of how fast an object, such as a spinning top or a gyroscope, rotates around its axis while also rotating around another axis.

2. What are the units of angular velocity of precession?

The units of angular velocity of precession are radians per unit of time, commonly expressed as radians per second (rad/s). It can also be measured in degrees per unit of time, such as degrees per second (°/s).

3. How is angular velocity of precession different from angular velocity?

Angular velocity of precession is different from angular velocity in that it specifically measures the rotation of an object around two axes simultaneously, while angular velocity only measures the rotation around a single axis.

4. What factors can affect the angular velocity of precession?

The angular velocity of precession can be affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of the object, as well as the strength of any external forces, such as gravity or friction.

5. How is angular velocity of precession calculated?

Angular velocity of precession can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular speed of rotation around the main axis by the sine of the angle between the main axis and the secondary axis.