Was Pat Robertson's Apology to Sharon's Son Enough?

• Thread starter Sprinter
  • Start date
In summary, Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson apologized to Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's son for his remarks on his television show. Robertson stated that his comments were inappropriate and insensitive and asked for forgiveness. He also mentioned his love for Israel but acknowledged that his timing was wrong. In response, Israeli Tourism Minister Avraham Hirschson stated that Robertson would not be involved in a planned Christian Heritage Center. Robertson has a history of controversial statements, and some have criticized him for his old age and delusional behavior.
Sprinter
Robertson apologizes to Sharon's son for remarks
12 Jan 2006 22:27:06 GMT

Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, Jan 12 (Reuters) - Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson has apologized for suggesting Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for Israel's pullout from the Gaza Strip.

In a letter to Sharon's son, Omri, the controversial U.S. evangelist sought forgiveness for saying last week on his "700 Club" television show that Sharon was "dividing God's land and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course."

"My zeal, my love of Israel and my concern for the future safety of your nation led me to make remarks which I can now view in retrospect as inappropriate and insensitive in light of a national grief experienced because of your father's illness," Robertson said in the letter, dated on Wednesday.

Sharon, 77, suffered a massive stroke last week and has been fighting for his life since.

Robertson, a former Republican presidential candidate with a history of controversial statements, said in the letter that "I ask your forgiveness and the forgiveness of the people of Israel for saying what was clearly insensitive at the time."

In response to Robertson's initial remarks, Israeli Tourism Minister Avraham Hirschson said on Wednesday that Robertson would not be involved in a planned $48 million Christian Heritage Center on the shore of the biblical Sea of Galilee in Israel.

He needs to use his ass-brain to think before saying something condemning people.

Physics news on Phys.org
yep, some people just don't know when to shut-up...
and notice that he apologized only that his timing was wrong... as if its alright to say it after some time has passed...

it reminds me, there were some people who said the new-orleans disaster happened because the US supported the pullout from gaza strip.

Last edited:
fargoth said:
yep, some people just don't know when to shut-up...
and notice that he apologized only that his timing was wrong... as if its alright to say it after some time has passed...

it reminds me, there were some people who said the new-orleans disaster happened because the US supported the pullout from gaza strip.
I thought it was Pat Robertson that said the New Orleans disaster happened because Ellen Degeneres, a lesbian from New Orleans, hosted the Emmys.

That's false by the way. The article that said that was from a satire site. But when someone talks about Pat Robertson, how can you tell the difference between satire and reality? His real comments are more outlandish than than the parodies of him!

You've got to consider though, his old age. I've come across his show and he seems to feel way too comfortable during his monologues. His show is Christian based, but it may be every once in a while his political ego kind of takes over, and uses the show to display political power and attach himself to such important issues (which in reality, he has no power over, so in a sense, he's delusional).

What evidence supports the claim that Robertson is a big idiot?

There is no scientific evidence to support this claim. It is a subjective opinion and should not be treated as fact.

Can intelligence be accurately measured and compared among individuals?

Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept that cannot be accurately measured by a single metric. Therefore, it is impossible to definitively label someone as a "big idiot" based on their intelligence.

Do people with lower intelligence deserve to be called "idiots"?

No, intelligence does not determine a person's worth or value as a human being. Using derogatory terms to describe someone's intelligence is hurtful and discriminatory.

What impact does labeling someone as an "idiot" have on their self-esteem?

Being labeled as an "idiot" can have a negative impact on an individual's self-esteem and can contribute to feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness. It is important to treat others with respect and refrain from using derogatory terms.

How can we promote a more inclusive and respectful society when it comes to discussing intelligence?

We can promote a more inclusive and respectful society by recognizing that intelligence is not a black and white concept and that everyone has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. It is important to refrain from using derogatory terms and to treat others with empathy and understanding.