Wanting to run the following motor using a 12V (car battery)

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to run a motor using a 12v battery for a small riding toy. The person is considering using an inverter but is curious about the requirements and potential costs. They mention the motor specs and mention they are a novice in this area. The other person suggests looking into DC motors and provides some suggestions for wattage and where to find them. They encourage the person to not give up and to do some research on their options. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for the advice and mentioning alternative options for finding a motor.
Green Trades
I am hoping to run the following motor using a 12v (car battery).

This battery would run until a charge is needed

Just curious on what's needed for an Inverter and how easily/cheap it could be accomplished..

Motor specsFHP-Motors

1~mot. 100w
115v 50/60 MHz

I'm novice in this area, let me know if more information is needed

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

is the motor going to be running continuously or will it be lots of start/stopping during use ?
if start/stopping, please give some idea of on time Vs off time

these things will determine inverter requirements

cheers
Dave

I'm hoping to power a small riding toy for my son, that being said there will be plenty of start & stopping periods..And thanks for the quick response

OK ... there's going to be lots of losses using an inverter to step up to 115V, this will cut down battery life

have you looked into DC motors ?

Green Trades said:
I'm hoping to power a small riding toy for my son, that being said there will be plenty of start & stopping periods..
Proba

And thanks for the quick
davenn said:
OK ... there's going to be lots of losses using an inverter to step up to 115V, this will cut down battery life

have you looked into DC motors ?
I just happened to come across this motor for a reasonable price. I'm hoping (for this project) to get even a 1/2 hour to an hour of running time.. If it's unlikely, then I'll just move on to another project :)

Green Trades said:
If it's unlikely, then I'll just move on to another project :)

don't give up so easily :wink:

do some googling on 12VDC motors with wattage rating of say 150 - 250 W
have a look and see what is available

cheers
Dave

Likes Green Trades
davenn said:
don't give up so easily :wink:

do some googling on 12VDC motors with wattage rating of say 150 - 250 W
have a look and see what is available

cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave, I will take a look :)

Likes davenn
RC Motors have a lot of variety and are in a competitive consumer market - keeping prices down. The other option is look for used - child riding toys / broken or otherwise and re-use.

Likes davenn

Related to Wanting to run the following motor using a 12V (car battery)

1. How can I safely connect a 12V motor to a car battery?

To safely connect a 12V motor to a car battery, you will need to use appropriate wiring and connectors rated for the voltage and amperage of the battery. It is also important to properly ground the circuit and ensure that all connections are secure to prevent any safety hazards.

2. Will using a 12V motor drain my car battery quickly?

The amount of current drawn from a car battery depends on the resistance of the motor and the duration of usage. In general, using a 12V motor should not significantly drain a fully charged car battery in a short amount of time. However, it is always a good idea to monitor the battery level and recharge as needed.

3. Can I use a 12V car battery for a motor that requires a higher voltage?

No, it is not recommended to use a 12V car battery for a motor that requires a higher voltage. This can damage the motor and potentially cause safety hazards. It is important to use a battery that is rated for the appropriate voltage and amperage for your motor.

4. Do I need any additional components to run a 12V motor with a car battery?

In most cases, you will not need any additional components to run a 12V motor with a car battery. However, if your motor requires specific voltage regulation or has sensitive electronic components, you may need to use a voltage regulator or other circuitry to ensure proper operation.

5. Can I use a car battery to run a motor continuously?

Yes, a car battery can be used to run a motor continuously as long as the battery is properly charged and the motor does not exceed the voltage and amperage ratings of the battery. It is important to monitor the battery level and recharge as needed to ensure continuous operation.