Want to study higher level engineering

In summary, many people feel that doing a master's after your undergraduate degree is a good idea, while others feel that it's not as beneficial if you don't have work experience.
ramzerimar
Hello, I'm currently majoring in ME with keen interest in fields like mechanical vibrations and fluid dynamics/aerodynamics. There is a ton of stuff that I want to learn in those fields that aren't typically in the subjects of a ME course. I want to work doing CFD and FEM analysis for vibrations and aerodynamics problems, and I have interest in aeronautics, renewable energies and so. For me, going for a Master's after college is a natural step.

On the other hand, many people I've talked to said that doing a master's straight out of college can be harmful, because you would have no work experience and finding a job would be more difficult.

So, I'm wondering if this is a path I should follow. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
The counter point of view is that if you don't do a master's after your undergraduate degree, you might not get the chance to do one later once you're working and have other life commitments - mortgage, other loans, family to support, etc.

In some cases your employer might support you in pursuing a master's degree, so that might be an option. I wouldn't just expect it going in though, especially not in a competitive market.

I think this is one of those situations in which there is no definitive right or wrong answer - just advantages and disadvantages on both sides. So you have to look at each seriously and consider which applies best for your particular situation. If the market happens to be slow and you're having a hard time getting a job, maybe pursing a master's degree is a better option at the moment. If you can get a good job that's doing or at least leading towards what you really want to do, you might not want to give that up.

Likes ramzerimar
I know a lot of mechanical engineers who work in the auto industry and they all get their masters paid for by their employer. Vibrations is a very important topic in the auto industry. You might consider checking out benefits offered by potential employers to help you make a decision.

Thanks for the answers. If I'm able to get a job straight out of college in a field that I'm interested in and where I have the opportunity to grow professionally, I will go for it, surely.

But I have the interest of doing a Master's sooner or later, mostly because I want to specialize myself in topics related to aerodynamics, compressible flow and aeroelasticity, and this stuff isn't taught in details during college (aeroelasticity is only taught in gradute studies).

Related to Want to study higher level engineering

1. What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate engineering programs?

Undergraduate engineering programs, also known as bachelor's degree programs, are typically 4 years in duration and focus on providing a broad foundation in engineering principles and basic technical skills. Graduate engineering programs, on the other hand, are more specialized and offer advanced coursework and research opportunities in a specific area of engineering. They can lead to a master's or doctoral degree.

2. What are the requirements for admission into a higher level engineering program?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the program and institution, but generally, applicants should have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, and relevant work experience. Many programs also require applicants to submit standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

3. How long does it take to complete a higher level engineering program?

The length of time to complete a higher level engineering program can vary depending on the program and the student's course load. A master's degree typically takes 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 3-5 years. Some programs may also offer accelerated options for students who want to finish their degree faster.

4. What types of engineering fields can I study at the higher level?

Higher level engineering programs offer a wide range of fields to study, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and many more. Some programs may also offer interdisciplinary options, such as biomedical engineering or environmental engineering.

5. Will a higher level engineering degree help advance my career?

A higher level engineering degree can open up new career opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries. It can also provide advanced technical skills and knowledge that can be applied in various industries. However, the specific impact on your career will depend on your individual goals and the demand for engineers in your field of study.