Want to Develop Mathematical Maturity

In summary: It is a skill that is developed over time and with experience.In summary, the individual is a computer science major with a focus on computational biology. They have taken up to calculus 2 and are looking to develop their mathematical maturity without double majoring. They are seeking book recommendations and have been advised to excel in calculus and take courses in differential equations and linear algebra. They are also considering a class in mathematical biology and recognize the importance of learning logic and set theory for mathematical maturity. It is suggested that practicing writing and understanding proofs is the best way to develop this skill.
Moenga
I'm a computer science major, computational biology in particular, that's looking to delve deeper into mathematics without actually double majoring. I've taken up to calculus 2, last topic covered was Taylor series. I've scoured numerous sources but to no avail. I've read that intro to logic and reasoning is helpful? Any book recommendations, I want to develop my mathematical maturity.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you mean by 'mathematical maturity'. What do you mean by, "I've scoured numerous sources but to no avail."?

You must strive to write less cryptically. If you can't tell us what you are looking for, we can't guess what it is.

Moenga said:
I'm a computer science major, computational biology in particular

Good, computational biology. You know what that means huh? Ok, strive to excel in Calculus, the whole book. That's either 3 or 4 semesters. Then study differential equations. But you need to know Calculus very good to do well in differential equations and computational biology is all about differential equations. You know about the termites? They build these marvelous clay cathedrals and that's really not what they have in mind. Yet the cathedral emerges from the mud nevertheless. Know why? Differential equations explain why as well as a great deal of biology in general . If you want to do well in computational biology, strive to excel in differential equations.

Thank you for the reply. I've taken two semesters of calculus thus far and the program at my university only requires the 2 semester sequence of calculus. Just clarifying, you recommend I continue the course sequence?

Moenga said:
Thank you for the reply. I've taken two semesters of calculus thus far and the program at my university only requires the 2 semester sequence of calculus. Just clarifying, you recommend I continue the course sequence?

Hi, I recommend you finish the book. Mine is about 1000 pages. Took me four. Then take two semesters of ordinary differential equations and probably linear algebra too. I love math and enjoyed the DE classes I took. But that's just ordinary equations. The world is massively non-linear and accessible through non-linear differential equations. The termite model is non-linear. To understand the world, why it works the way it does, is to understand the underlying principles of non-linear differential equations and that of course includes biology too.

If you want to learn how to read math, which I believe is what is meant when books say that mathematical maturity is required, you'll need to learn about logic and set theory. How you do that is up to you.

You might want to look at your university; some schools actually have a class on mathematical biology. It usually requires knowledge of differential equations, linear algebra, and calculus to get into.

However, as the other posters said it is probably best to focus on excelling at differential equations. Even a course on partial differential equations might be useful, for ensuring you are "good" at mathematical biology.

I think that perhaps the best way to develop mathematical maturity is to learn to write and understand proofs. This only comes with practice.

Related to Want to Develop Mathematical Maturity

What is mathematical maturity and why is it important?

Mathematical maturity refers to a person's ability to think critically, analyze complex problems, and communicate mathematical ideas effectively. It is important because it allows individuals to approach and solve problems in a logical and efficient manner, which is essential in many fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

What are some ways to develop mathematical maturity?

One way to develop mathematical maturity is to actively engage in problem-solving activities, both independently and collaboratively. This can include practicing with a variety of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as working on challenging problems that require critical thinking and creativity. Additionally, seeking out opportunities to apply math in real-world situations can also help develop mathematical maturity.

At what age should someone start developing mathematical maturity?

There is no specific age to start developing mathematical maturity, as it is a lifelong process. However, it is important to introduce children to basic mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills at an early age, as this can lay a strong foundation for developing mathematical maturity later on.

Can mathematical maturity be taught or is it an innate ability?

While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards math, mathematical maturity can be taught and developed through practice and exposure to challenging problems. It is important to have a growth mindset and believe that with effort and persistence, anyone can improve their mathematical maturity.

How can mathematical maturity benefit me in my daily life?

Developing mathematical maturity can benefit individuals in their daily lives by improving their critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and decision-making processes. It can also help individuals better understand and interpret data and make informed decisions, such as managing finances or making purchases. Additionally, having strong mathematical maturity can open up career opportunities in various fields.