Want to become a mechanical engineer

In summary, if you want to pursue a career in mechanical engineering, you will need to be prepared to do well in calculus. It is also important to brush up on basic mathematics before starting your engineering degree.
Warbandit
Hey, everyone I finally made up my mind on what carreer path I want to get into, but the problem is that it deals with a great deal of math. The same math I rejected as a child. I'm now 20 and since I'm not good at math as of right now I must start from the basic does anyone known the best books to practice on to jump start my math gear

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the best place to look is in this forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178

Great career choice, btw - best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are interested in mechanical engineering, you will need to be thoroughly prepared to jump into calculus. From the way that you worded your post, it seems to me that you will be lacking in your knowledge of algebra. If this is the case I would recommend working your way through the introductory math courses (ie intro -> trig -> college algebra) at your university/community college of choice before even starting your engineering degree. However, if you feel VERY comfortable with algebra and trig then you should be alright starting your degree in engineering. A solid background in trig and algebra is essential to avoid being "weeded out" in the first years of engineering.

If I were you, I would spend 1-1.5 years at a community college to brush up on mathematics in preparation for the beast known as mechanical engineering. It may sound like a long time, but (done correctly) math takes time to truly absorb and understand.

I don't know if it really takes THAT long ^^. I'd recommend you take it easy your first semester and not take anything like calc-based physics if you're really worried about your maths. Simply try and take a summer semester and take a math class, or go to a CC and ask to sit in on the lectures and do the work etc. That way you don't have the pressure of the grade and you're just learning. If not, then take a more fundamental math class (like college algebra) your next semester and then work from there. It may set you back a semester but you can always use summers to catch up. Besides, being good at math is a very important thing since engineering is math heavy (atleast the education is).

Hello there! It's great to hear that you have made a decision on your career path and are interested in becoming a mechanical engineer. Math is definitely a crucial skill in this field, but don't let your previous experiences discourage you. With dedication and practice, you can improve your math skills and excel in your chosen career.

I can assure you that math is an essential tool in understanding and solving real-world problems, especially in the field of engineering. It may seem daunting at first, but with the right resources and guidance, you can definitely improve.

I would recommend starting with basic math textbooks or online resources that cover topics such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. These are fundamental concepts that will be useful in your future studies and career. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help from tutors or peers can also greatly benefit your learning.

Remember, becoming a mechanical engineer requires hard work and perseverance, but with determination and a positive mindset, you can definitely achieve your goals. Best of luck on your journey!

Related to Want to become a mechanical engineer

1. What is a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer is a professional who applies the principles of physics and materials science to design, develop, and analyze mechanical systems. This can include machines, equipment, engines, and other mechanical devices.

2. What skills do I need to become a mechanical engineer?

To become a mechanical engineer, you will need a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also important to have strong communication and teamwork skills, as much of the work in this field involves collaboration with others.

3. What education is required to become a mechanical engineer?

Most mechanical engineers have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some positions may require a master's degree or specialized training in a specific area of mechanical engineering.

4. What job opportunities are available for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineers can find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and energy. Some common job titles for mechanical engineers include design engineer, project engineer, and research and development engineer.

5. What is the job outlook for mechanical engineers?

The job outlook for mechanical engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is on par with the average growth rate for all occupations. Demand for mechanical engineers is driven by the need for new and improved machinery and equipment in various industries.