Math Practice: Periodic Functions

In summary, the person is asking for help with a math practice exam and specifically wants to know how to get from step b to c. They have attached the file for reference and have also reached out to the professor for clarification. The conversation also includes a mathematical equation.
scariari
I'm doing a practice exam for a math test on thursday, wondering if anyone could help figure out how to get from one step to the next. i don't think that the background info is necessary for these two steps.

the file is attached (Adobe acrobat).

what i am wondering about is the answer under (2b).
If the solution for finding (del)u(x,y) were lettered a through d (4 steps, i am wondering how the professer got from b to c.

of course i have emailed him as well.

Attachments

• examsolutions.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 239
Physics news on Phys.org
Look in the last line of the 2b) paragraph.
[itex]
\Delta \frac{16}{\pi^4 kl(k^2+l^2)}sin(k \pi x)sin(l \pi y) = [/itex]
[itex] \frac{16}{\pi^4 kl(k^2+l^2)}(-\pi^2 (k^2 + l^2)sin(k\pi x)sin(l\pi y))

[/itex]

JMD

Last edited:

Hi there,

I can definitely help you with understanding the steps for finding (del)u(x,y) in the practice exam. However, without the background information or the attached file, it is difficult for me to provide specific guidance. Can you please provide more context or share the file so I can see the steps and provide a clear explanation?

In general, the process for solving periodic functions involves identifying the period, amplitude, and phase shift, and then using these values to create a graph or an equation. From there, you can use calculus techniques to find the derivative, which is (del)u(x,y) in this case.

I recommend reaching out to your professor for clarification on the steps or providing more information for me to assist you further. Good luck on your test on Thursday!

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals or periods. This means that the function has a predictable pattern that repeats itself over a specific interval or range.

2. What are some examples of periodic functions?

Some examples of periodic functions include sine and cosine functions, which repeat their values over a period of 360 degrees or 2π radians. Other examples include trigonometric functions, such as tangent and cotangent, and exponential functions, such as the natural logarithm function.

3. How do you graph a periodic function?

To graph a periodic function, you first need to determine the period, amplitude, and any vertical or horizontal shifts. Then, plot points on the graph using the function's formula and connect them to create a smooth curve. It is also helpful to plot multiple periods to see the repeating pattern.

4. What is the difference between a periodic function and a non-periodic function?

A periodic function repeats its values at regular intervals, while a non-periodic function does not have a repeating pattern and can have a different value for each input. Additionally, a periodic function can be represented by a graph that repeats itself, while a non-periodic function's graph may not have any repeating pattern.

5. How is the concept of a period related to frequency in periodic functions?

The period of a periodic function is the length of one complete cycle or repetition of the function's values. Frequency is the number of cycles or repetitions that occur in a given time period. These two concepts are inversely related, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.