W=F.dx rate of change of x approaches to zero?

In summary, the rate of change of displacement with respect to time affects the rate at which work is done, but the rate of change of displacement with respect to distance is equal to force.
hugoARD
In the integration of Force with respect to displacement (W=∫F.dx), is that true if the rate of change of displacement approaches to zero? My teacher said the one which approaches to zero is the rate of change of time. But If I arrange the formula, I will get F=dW/dx then F= lim Δx→0 ΔW/Δx. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hugoARD. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I think you may have misunderstood your teacher, time plays no part in that equation for work. The time rate of change of x is immaterial, though obviously if dx/dt is fixed at zero then x undergoes no change and with no change in x then no work is done.

You perform exactly as much work over a distance x whether your movement over that distance is fast or slow, providing you push with the same force.

Last edited by a moderator:
hugoARD said:
In the integration of Force with respect to displacement (W=∫F.dx), is that true if the rate of change of displacement approaches to zero?
Rate of change of displacement with respect to what?

hugoARD said:
My teacher said the one which approaches to zero is the rate of change of time.
That makes sense. If the rate of change of displacement with respect to time goes to zero, that means the velocity goes to zero and the rate at which work is done goes to zero: dW/dt = F dx/dt

hugoARD said:
But If I arrange the formula, I will get F=dW/dx then F= lim Δx→0 ΔW/Δx. Please help
dW/dx describes how work changes with distance. It equals force, not zero.

Related to W=F.dx rate of change of x approaches to zero?

1. What is the definition of work in terms of force and displacement?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and displacement, or in other words, the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a certain distance.

2. How is work related to the rate of change of displacement as it approaches zero?

As the displacement approaches zero, the rate of change of displacement also approaches zero. This means that the work done by a force when the displacement is very small or negligible is also very small or negligible.

3. How does the concept of work apply to real-world situations?

In real-world situations, work can be seen as the effort required to move an object over a distance against a resisting force. For example, when pushing a cart, the force applied is doing work by moving the cart a certain distance.

4. What is the importance of understanding the relationship between work and displacement?

Understanding the relationship between work and displacement is crucial in understanding the concept of energy. Work is a form of energy, and the amount of work done can be used to determine the amount of energy transferred or transformed in a system.

5. How can the equation W=F.dx be applied in different scientific fields?

The equation W=F.dx can be applied in various scientific fields, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. In mechanics, it is used to calculate the work done by a force on an object. In thermodynamics, it is used to calculate the work done during a change in a system's volume. In electromagnetism, it is used to calculate the work done by an electric or magnetic field on a charged particle.