W Boson Vertices: Incoming vs Outgoing

In summary, when considering outgoing W bosons, the CKM matrix element Vud will have the complex conjugate while Vud* will not. This can be determined by considering the CPT inversed process in the Feynman diagrams.
kaksmet
Hi,

a simple question on W boson vertices (and I guess field theory in general). If I have a W boson vertex for incoming particles, i.e.

W^+ ubar d and W^- u dbar

how do I change this for outgoing W's. The first interaction contains a CKM matrix element Vud and the second a Vud^*, and I want to figure out which one of them has the complex conjugate in the case of outgoing W's.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all remember that an interaction vertex in the lagrangian can represent several different processes in feynman diagrams.

the [itex]W^{-}u\bar{d}[/itex] term in the lagrangian can be the decay [itex]W^{+}\rightarrow u\bar{d}[/itex] or the annhilation [itex]d\bar{u}\rightarrow W^{-}[/itex] , both with the same coupling (including the same phase)

the conjugate decay and annihilation processes will come from the hermitian conjugate term in the lagrangian, and they will have opposite phase.

A useful way to remember which processes will have the same phase and which will not is to remember that the CPT inversed process has the same coupling (including the same phase).
In our case [itex]W^{+}\rightarrow u\bar{d}[/itex] is the CPT inversed process of [itex]d\bar{u}\rightarrow W^{-}[/itex] , since each particle is replaced by its antiparticle and the time direction is reversed.

Related to W Boson Vertices: Incoming vs Outgoing

1. What is a W Boson Vertex?

A W Boson Vertex is a fundamental particle interaction that involves the exchange of a W boson. This interaction is responsible for the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe.

2. What is the difference between Incoming and Outgoing W Boson Vertices?

Incoming W Boson Vertices involve the initial state particles, while outgoing W Boson Vertices involve the final state particles. In other words, incoming vertices describe the particles before the interaction, while outgoing vertices describe the particles after the interaction.

3. How are W Boson Vertices related to the Standard Model of Particle Physics?

W Boson Vertices are an essential part of the Standard Model of Particle Physics. They are responsible for the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces described in the Standard Model.

4. What are some possible outcomes of W Boson Vertex interactions?

W Boson Vertex interactions can result in the emission or absorption of a W boson, as well as the transformation of one type of particle into another (such as a quark changing flavor). These interactions can also lead to the decay of a particle into other particles.

5. How do scientists study W Boson Vertices?

Scientists study W Boson Vertices by colliding particles at high energies in particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. By observing the products of these collisions, scientists can infer the presence and properties of W Boson Vertices and further understand the weak nuclear force and the underlying structure of matter.