Volvovik's Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity as TOE

In summary, Volovik's Fermi-point scenario suggests that gravity is an emergent low-energy phenomenon arising from a topologically stable defect in momentum space, rather than a fundamental description of spacetime. This scenario denies the need for more than 4 dimensions, as required by string theory, and also denies the need for quantizing general relativity, as done in loop quantum gravity. Volovik also argues that supersymmetry is not necessary for this scenario. His work is reminiscent of other condense matter physics-inspired theories of everything, such as Xiao-Wen's rotor model and string net condensation.
ensabah6
String theorists (i.e Josh1) and LQG'ers (i.e Marcus) how promosing do you think Volvovik's Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity as a TOE,

he denies more than 4D as required by String theory, and denies quantizing GR and seems to denigrate gravity as spacetime, in favor of condense matter helium-3 models, that GR is just a low energy hydrodynamic theory, nt a fundamental theory in its own right.

Physics news on Phys.org
ensabah6 said:
String theorists (i.e Josh1) and LQG'ers (i.e Marcus) how promosing do you think Volvovik's Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity as a TOE,

he denies more than 4D as required by String theory, and denies quantizing GR and seems to denigrate gravity as spacetime, in favor of condense matter helium-3 models, that GR is just a low energy hydrodynamic theory, nt a fundamental theory in its own right.

I posted that article of Volovik back on 10 September in the bibliography thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1424547&postcount=637

It is good if you want to discuss it to have a separate discussion thread, so I'm glad you started one.

It seems like more and more people these days are saying you can have something like string theory in just 4D.
John Baez, Alejandro Perez are two that come to mind. I seem to recall Steve Giddings writing something about this. Isn't Warren Siegel also a proponent? Also Derek Wise and Alissa Crans. Others may be able to supply further names.

Anyway be that as it may you seem to have taken a fancy to Volovik. I will put the link and abstract here in case anyone wants to discuss.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.1258
Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity
G.E. Volovik
10 pages, 6 figures, draft for proceedings of conference "From Quantum to Emergent Gravity: Theory and Phenomenology", Trieste June 11-15 (2007)
(Submitted on 9 Sep 2007)

"Let us assume, that gravity is emergent low-energy phenomenon arising from the topologically stable defect in momentum space -- the Fermi point. What are the consequences? We discuss the natural values of fermion masses and cosmological constant; flatness of the Universe; bounds on the Lorentz violation; etc "

Francesca, who sometimes posts here, is at Trieste and actually ATTENDED this very conference where Volovik gave this particular paper. If she is around she might be able to tell you how it went over.

Volovik was one of the people that Lee Smolin invited to that workshop at Perimeter that I told you about before----where that MIT condensed matter guy was also. Smolin and Volovik seem to like each other and have often cited each other's papers.

I personally don't know what to make of Volovik. I think maybe he works on long shots (which you always need someone to do.)

Last edited:
marcus said:
I posted that article of Volovik back on 10 September in the bibliography thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1424547&postcount=637

It is good if you want to discuss it to have a separate discussion thread, so I'm glad you started one.

It seems like more and more people these days are saying you can have something like string theory in just 4D.
John Baez, Alejandro Perez are two that come to mind. I seem to recall Steve Giddings writing something about this. Isn't Warren Siegel also a proponent? Also Derek Wise and Alissa Crans. Others may be able to supply further names.

Anyway be that as it may you seem to have taken a fancy to Volovik. I will put the link and abstract here in case anyone wants to discuss.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.1258
Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity
G.E. Volovik
10 pages, 6 figures, draft for proceedings of conference "From Quantum to Emergent Gravity: Theory and Phenomenology", Trieste June 11-15 (2007)
(Submitted on 9 Sep 2007)

"Let us assume, that gravity is emergent low-energy phenomenon arising from the topologically stable defect in momentum space -- the Fermi point. What are the consequences? We discuss the natural values of fermion masses and cosmological constant; flatness of the Universe; bounds on the Lorentz violation; etc "

Francesca, who sometimes posts here, is at Trieste and actually ATTENDED this very conference where Volovik gave this particular paper. If she is around she might be able to tell you how it went over.

Volovik was one of the people that Lee Smolin invited to that workshop at Perimeter that I told you about before----where that MIT condensed matter guy was also. Smolin and Volovik seem to like each other and have often cited each other's papers.

I personally don't know what to make of Volovik. I think maybe he works on long shots (which you always need someone to do.)

I don't have an opinion on string 4D, does string 4D require SUSY, and if so, what would happen to SUSY 4D string theory shoudl LHC not find any evidence for SUSY?

In the paper you cite, Volovik states that quantizing the field equations of GR, as done in LQG, is fundamentally wrong, and that GR is not a fundamental description of Spacetime (which I wonder whether this implies the LQG arguments about BI are rendered irrelevant). Volovik also argues there is a condense matter physics theorem which states that the physics of condense matter only works in 4D, and that more than 4D (i.e 11D in m-theory) is not needed, nor is SUSY needed.

Volovik work reminds me of Xiao-Wen's rotor model and string net condensation, and both are condense matter physicists. Perhaps neither string nor LQG but condense matter physics is the route to TOE.

Personally I wish there were more papers and publicity on condense matter physics inspired TOE's (SM+GR).

Related to Volvovik's Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity as TOE

1. What is Volovik's Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity as TOE?

Volovik's Fermi-point scenario of emergent gravity as TOE (Theory of Everything) is a theoretical framework proposed by Grigory Volovik in 2003. It suggests that gravity is an emergent phenomenon that arises from the collective behavior of fermionic particles near a Fermi point, rather than being a fundamental force like the other three forces in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does Volovik's scenario explain the emergence of gravity?

Volovik's scenario proposes that the curvature of spacetime, which is the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity, is actually an emergent collective property of a large number of fermions near their Fermi point. This curvature then gives rise to the gravitational force, similar to how the motion of electric charges creates the electromagnetic force.

3. What makes Volovik's scenario a potential Theory of Everything?

Volovik's scenario attempts to unify the fundamental forces of nature, specifically gravity, with the principles of quantum mechanics. It also offers a possible explanation for the origin of the universe and the observed accelerating expansion of the universe. These features make it a potential candidate for a Theory of Everything.

4. What are some criticisms of Volovik's scenario?

One major criticism of Volovik's scenario is that it lacks experimental evidence to support its claims. It also faces challenges in explaining the precise values of fundamental physical constants and the hierarchy problem, which is the large discrepancy in the strength of different fundamental forces. Additionally, it has been argued that emergent gravity scenarios, in general, are not testable and therefore do not qualify as a proper scientific theory.

5. How does Volovik's scenario compare to other theories of emergent gravity?

Volovik's scenario is one of many theories attempting to explain the emergence of gravity from other fundamental principles. Other theories, such as entropic gravity and holographic gravity, propose different mechanisms for this emergence. However, none of these theories have been confirmed by experimental evidence and are still considered to be in the realm of theoretical physics.