Volumn by cross sections - solving in terms of which axis confusion?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region bounded by three curves around the x-axis. The process involves finding the intersections of the curves, setting up an area function in terms of y, and then using the formula for volume to find the answer. The final integral should have limits of integration between y = 1 and y = 2 and a volume element that includes the radius of y and length of 6-y-y^2.
zeion

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving this region bounded by the curves about the x-axis.

y = sqrt(x), x+y=6, y=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the intersections of these curves I get:

(1,1), (4,2), (5,1)..
Then I see that to get the area of this cross section I need to do two sections from x = 1 to x = 4, and x = 4 to x = 5 if I integrated in terms of x..

So I see that it will be easier to integrate in terms of y:

I will get the area to be

[tex]
A(y) = \int_{1}^{2} [(-y+6)-(y^2)]dy
[/tex]

But now I am confused as to how I can formulate the integral to find the volume of this by revolving around the x-axis?

I know I need to use the difference of the boundary as the radius then multiply by pi.. but I don't understand how to do that if I wrote the area in terms of y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the integral you have. That just gives you the area of the region, which isn't what you want.

Your typical volume element is a shell whose volume is 2* pi*radius*length*[itex]\Delta y[/itex]. For your problem radius is y, and length is (6 - y - y2). The limits of integration are the ones you found, y = 1 and y = 2.

BTW, you should have put this into the Calculus and Beyond section, not the Precalcus section.

So can I do this to find the volume?

[tex]

V = \int_{1}^{2} \pi[(-y+6)^2-(y^2)^2]dy

[/tex]

zeion said:
So can I do this to find the volume?

[tex]

V = \int_{1}^{2} \pi[(-y+6)^2-(y^2)^2]dy

[/tex]
Reread what I wrote in post #2.

Related to Volumn by cross sections - solving in terms of which axis confusion?

1. What is the concept of volume by cross sections?

Volume by cross sections refers to a method of finding the volume of a three-dimensional object by dividing it into multiple two-dimensional cross sections and summing their volumes together.

2. How is volume by cross sections different from other methods of finding volume?

Volume by cross sections is different from other methods, such as using formulas or integration, because it can be applied to irregularly shaped objects and does not require complex calculations.

3. Which axis should be used when solving for volume by cross sections?

The axis used for solving volume by cross sections depends on the orientation of the object. If the cross sections are perpendicular to the x-axis, then the volume can be solved in terms of the x-axis. Similarly, if the cross sections are perpendicular to the y-axis, then the volume can be solved in terms of the y-axis.

4. What are the steps for solving volume by cross sections in terms of a specific axis?

The steps for solving volume by cross sections in terms of a specific axis are:

• Divide the object into cross sections perpendicular to the chosen axis
  • Calculate the area of each cross section
  • Multiply the area by the thickness of the cross section to get the volume of each cross section
  • Sum all the volumes of the cross sections to get the total volume of the object

5. Can volume by cross sections be used for any type of three-dimensional object?

Yes, volume by cross sections can be used for any type of three-dimensional object, as long as it can be divided into cross sections and the axis of integration is perpendicular to the cross sections.