Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Volumes of revolution

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Calculate the volumes of the rotation bodies which arises when the area D in the xy-plane bounded by x-axis and curve \(\displaystyle 7x-x^2\)may rotate around x- respective y-axes.
I will calculate \(\displaystyle V_x\) and \(\displaystyle V_y\) I start to get crit point \(\displaystyle x_1=0\) and \(\displaystyle x_2=7\)
rotate on y-axe:
\(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_a^bf(x)dx\)
so we get \(\displaystyle 2\pi[\frac{7x^2}{2}-\frac{x^3}{3}]_0^7\) \(\displaystyle V_y=\frac{2\pi*343}{6}\)
rotate on x axe:
\(\displaystyle \pi\int_a^bf(x)^2dx\)
so we start with:\(\displaystyle (7x-x^2)^2=49x^2-14x^3+x^4\) so we get \(\displaystyle [\frac{49x^3}{3}-\frac{14x^4}{4}+\frac{x^5}{5}]_0^7\) that means \(\displaystyle V_x=\frac{16087\pi}{30}\) What I am doing wrong?

(Sorry for bad english.)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
First , why do you think you are doing something wrong ?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I was going to ask the same thing...are you expecting you should get the same volume with a different axis of rotation? This in only true with the axes you are given for a particular family of parabolas, and this one is not in that family. See this topic:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f35/problem-week-37-december-10th-2012-a-2714/

I believe that problem was inspired by a problem I helped you with in the past. :cool:

Your formula for the shell method (revolving about the $y$-axis) is missing the radius of the shell. Your other formula for the disk method (revolving about the $x$-axis) is correct.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
I was going to ask the same thing...are you expecting you should get the same volume with a different axis of rotation? This in only true with the axes you are given for a particular family of parabolas, and this one is not in that family. See this topic:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f35/problem-week-37-december-10th-2012-a-2714/

I believe that problem was inspired by a problem I helped you with in the past. :cool:

Your formula for the shell method (revolving about the $y$-axis) is missing the radius of the shell. Your other formula for the disk method (revolving about the $x$-axis) is correct.
Well its a programe we put our answer on so we see if we get correct or wrong:p what do you mean missing the radius of the shell?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
...what do you mean missing the radius of the shell?
The volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle h=f(x)\)

You also need to write $r$ in terms of $x$. Do you see how your formula is missing the radius?

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
The volume of an arbitrary shell is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

where:

\(\displaystyle h=f(x)\)

You also need to write $r$ in terms of $x$. Do you see how your formula is missing the radius?
Yes I do, I did think wrong when I try use my brain(and some memory) for the formula. \(\displaystyle 2\pi\int_0^7x(7x-x^2)\) is this correct now?

Edit: got correct answer! Thanks MarkFL and ZaidAylafey!:)

Last edited: