Volume/Volume %, manipulating units

• Thread starter susan__t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses trying to find the volume percentage of acetic acid in vinegar. The individual has 8*10-4 mol/L of acetic acid in vinegar and 8*10-5 mol/L in a dilute sample. They are having trouble converting the mol/L into mL and determining the values of A and A+B. They also mention that mol/L can be converted into grams/100mL.
susan__t
I am trying to find % acetic acid by volume in vinegar.

I have 8*10-4 mol/L of acetic acid in vinegar and 8*10-5 of acetic acid in the dilute sample of vinegar and water.

I know that the volume/volume % is equal to the amounts of A divided by the total amounts of A and B. BUT that they also should be in mL, considering the density (the assumed density) of water, vinegar and acetic acid is 1.00g/mL.

So I'm having trouble with finding out how to convert the mol/L into just mL. Also having trouble figuring out what A and A+B are. I am assuming A is the volume of acetic acid in vinegar and A+B is the volume of acetic acid in the dilute sample?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mol/L can be converted into grams/L which can be converted into grams/100mL.

for your question. To find the % acetic acid by volume in vinegar, we need to first convert the given concentration of acetic acid in mol/L to volume in mL. This can be done by using the formula C = n/V, where C is the concentration in mol/L, n is the number of moles, and V is the volume in liters. Since we are looking for the volume in mL, we can multiply the concentration by 1000 to convert from L to mL.

So for the 8*10^-4 mol/L concentration, we would have (8*10^-4 mol/L) * (1000 mL/L) = 0.8 mL of acetic acid in 1 L of vinegar.

Next, we need to find the total volume of the vinegar and water mixture. This can be done by using the formula Vtotal = Vvinegar + Vwater, where Vvinegar is the volume of vinegar and Vwater is the volume of water.

In this case, we are given that the dilute sample has 8*10^-5 mol/L of acetic acid. Using the same formula as before, we can find the volume of acetic acid in 1 L of the dilute sample as 0.08 mL.

Now, we can plug these values into the formula for volume/volume %, which is (Vacid/Vtotal) * 100%.

So, for the vinegar, we have (0.8 mL/1 L) * 100% = 0.08% acetic acid by volume. And for the dilute sample, we have (0.08 mL/1 L) * 100% = 0.008% acetic acid by volume.

In terms of A and A+B, A would represent the volume of acetic acid in the vinegar and A+B would represent the total volume of acetic acid in the vinegar and water mixture.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation process for finding % acetic acid by volume in vinegar. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Volume/Volume %, manipulating units

1. What is volume and how is it measured?

Volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by a substance. It is typically measured in units such as liters (L) or cubic meters (m^3). The volume of a solid can be measured by multiplying its length, width, and height, while the volume of a liquid can be measured using a graduated cylinder or other measuring device.

2. What is volume % and how is it calculated?

Volume %, also known as volume percent or volume concentration, is a way to express the concentration of a solution. It is calculated by dividing the volume of the solute (the substance being dissolved) by the total volume of the solution and multiplying by 100%. This measurement is commonly used in chemistry and is often denoted by the symbol "% v/v".

3. How do you convert between different units of volume?

To convert between different units of volume, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from liters to cubic meters, you can multiply the number of liters by 0.001. To convert from cubic inches to cubic centimeters, you can multiply the number of cubic inches by 16.387.

4. How do you manipulate units when solving volume problems?

When solving volume problems, it is important to make sure that all units are consistent. This means that all measurements should be in the same units before performing any calculations. If necessary, you can use conversion factors to change units before solving the problem. It is also important to pay attention to the units when setting up equations and when using formulas to ensure accurate calculations.

5. Why is it important to understand volume and how to manipulate units?

Understanding volume and how to manipulate units is important for a variety of reasons. First, it allows scientists to accurately measure and express the amount of a substance in a given space. This is crucial for experiments and for making precise calculations. Additionally, understanding volume and units is important for converting between different systems of measurements, which is necessary for international collaborations and for communicating scientific findings to a wider audience.