Volume Stress and Bulk Modulus

In summary, we calculate the amount of water that comes out of a cylindrical steel pressure vessel after the pressure is increased by 1000 kPa by using the formula Delta V = -V(Delta P)/B, where B is the bulk modulus of water. The bulk modulus given in the textbook is 0.2*10^10, and using this value, we find that 0.655L of water comes out. In the second problem, we use the formula for potential energy Ug = Krot to find the angular velocity of the tip of a long, thin rod as it falls over on a table. We then use the formula sqrt(3g/L) for the angular velocity and the formula v = wr for the speed
2020vision

Homework Statement

A cylindrical steel pressure vessel with volume 1.31 m^3 is to be tested. The vessel is entirely filled with water, then a piston at one end of the cylinder is pushed in until the pressure inside the vessel has increased by 1000 kPa. Suddenly, a safety plug on the top bursts. How many liters of water come out?

Homework Equations

B=0.2x10^10N/m^2
P1=P0+(rho)gh
P1=-B((Delta V)/V)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that I have to look for delta V as that would be the water that comes out causing the change in volume.

Delta V=-V(Delta P)/B=-1.31(1000)/(0.2x10^10)
Delta V= 6.55*10^-7

But this is not the right answer. I am confused as to where I'm going wrong.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A second problem

Homework Statement

A long, thin rod of mass M and length L is standing straight up on a table. Its lower end rotates on a frictionless pivot. A very slight push causes the rod to fall over.

a) As it hits the table, what is the angular velocity of the tip of the rod?
b) What is the speed of the tip of the rod?

Homework Equations

v = wr
a = v^2/r=(w^2)r
v= (2(pi)(r))/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble picturing what the question is asking.

a) w = v/r = (2(pi)r)/T/r = 2pi/T...don't know where to go from here

b) I think after I find w in a i just use v = wr

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1) don't you have 1000 kPa and not 1000 Pa?

For 2) consider the moment of inertia of the bar. Consider too the energy in the system as it starts to fall. The total potential energy of the bar should be rotational kinetic energy when it's at the horizontal shouldn't it?

LowlyPion said:
For 1) don't you have 1000 kPa and not 1000 Pa?

Yeah its kpa, so in the formula I should use 1 000 000pa and I get 6.55*10^-4 m^3 which will be 0.655L...is that right?

2020vision said:
Yeah its kpa, so in the formula I should use 1 000 000pa and I get 6.55*10^-4 m^3 which will be 0.655L...is that right?

If your bulk modulus for water is good.

I might use 4.58 * 10-10 for compressibility k, where k = 1/B, which yields a slightly smaller result.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/compress.html#c1

LowlyPion said:
For 2) consider the moment of inertia of the bar. Consider too the energy in the system as it starts to fall. The total potential energy of the bar should be rotational kinetic energy when it's at the horizontal shouldn't it?

Ok I made potential energy = rotational energy

so i get:

Ug = Krot
MgL = 1/2 (1/3ML^2)w^2
GL = 1/6 (L^2)(w^2)
sqrt(6g/L) = w

so I put the answer as sqrt (6g/L) on the online system and its wrong, but I get this message:
"Your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one."

Where did I go wrong?

LowlyPion said:
If your bulk modulus for water is good.

I might use 4.58 * 10-10 for compressibility k, where k = 1/B, which yields a slightly smaller result.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/compress.html#c1

We are supposed to use the bulk modulus from our textbook, and that one is 0.2*10^10. Anything else would give a wrong answer in the system. So with this bulk modulus, is 0.655L right?

For 2) your potential energy will be the height of the center of mass won't it?

2020vision said:
We are supposed to use the bulk modulus from our textbook, and that one is 0.2*10^10. Anything else would give a wrong answer in the system. So with this bulk modulus, is 0.655L right?

That what it looks like to me then.

LowlyPion said:
For 2) your potential energy will be the height of the center of mass won't it?

oh so it should be sqrt (3g/L) right?

2020vision said:
oh so it should be sqrt (3g/L) right?

Yes.

Related to Volume Stress and Bulk Modulus

What is volume stress?

Volume stress is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied to an object, causing it to change in volume. It is also known as compressive stress.

What is bulk modulus?

Bulk modulus is a measure of a material's resistance to volume stress. It is defined as the ratio of volume stress to the corresponding change in volume.

How is bulk modulus calculated?

Bulk modulus is calculated by dividing the volume stress by the change in volume, multiplied by the original volume. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa).

What factors affect bulk modulus?

The bulk modulus of a material is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the nature of the material's atomic and molecular structure.

Why is bulk modulus important?

Bulk modulus is important because it helps determine the stiffness and elasticity of a material. It is also used in various engineering applications, such as designing structures that can withstand high levels of pressure and stress.