Volume of water in a container

In summary, when water is added to a closed container with a constant amount of air, the pressure and density of the air or water will increase due to the limited space for the water to occupy. This effect is amplified in a smaller container where there is even less space for the water, resulting in a higher pressure increase.
Physicist1011

Homework Statement

A closed container is connected with a tube, water will enter the container via this tube. How would the amount of water in the container affect the pressure in it when water enters the container via the tube?
Is this the same as changing the volume of the container (which water is being poured into (by a tube). If so how does a smaller container volume affect the change in pressure when water enters the container via tube?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to only have given the question without any supporting equations we would need to know or an attempt at the solution.

Could you please give some more information and follow the homework question format?

No equations involved. I don't understand how changing the volume of water in the container (to start with there will be a volume of water in the container) will affect the pressure increase in the container when water enters it via a tube. And also if this is the same as using a smaller container, how will this effect the pressure increase in the container if a smaller container is used?

I think I understand what you're saying. If you have a sealed box, with air in it. The amount of air is constant and has a constant density and fills up the box. You then proceed to add water to the box through a tube which I'm assuming acts like a valve and only let's in water but does not let out air.

Now, think about this. There was a fixed amount of air taking up the entire box and you just added some water. Where is the place for the water? Only option is for the pressure and subsequently the density of the air or water to increase so there is more place.

Smaller the container, less place, so more pressure.

Is this what you wanted?

lekh2003 said:
I think I understand what you're saying. If you have a sealed box, with air in it. The amount of air is constant and has a constant density and fills up the box. You then proceed to add water to the box through a tube which I'm assuming acts like a valve and only let's in water but does not let out air.

Now, think about this. There was a fixed amount of air taking up the entire box and you just added some water. Where is the place for the water? Only option is for the pressure and subsequently the density of the air or water to increase so there is more place.

Smaller the container, less place, so more pressure.

Is this what you wanted?
Yes, thank you.

Related to Volume of water in a container

What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a container is the amount of space inside the container that can be occupied by a substance or material.

How is the volume of water in a container measured?

The volume of water in a container is typically measured in units of liters or milliliters.

How does the shape of a container affect its volume?

The shape of a container can greatly affect its volume. For example, a tall and narrow container will have a smaller volume than a short and wide container, even if they have the same height and width.

How can the volume of water in a container be calculated?

The volume of water in a container can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the container. For irregularly shaped containers, the volume can be calculated by measuring the displaced water when the container is filled.

Can the volume of water in a container change?

Yes, the volume of water in a container can change if the temperature or pressure of the water changes. For example, when water freezes, it expands and takes up more space, increasing the volume.