Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Volume of the solid formed

karush

Jan 31, 2012
View attachment 1012

Let \(\displaystyle f(x)=\sqrt{x}\), Line \(\displaystyle L\) is the normal to the graph of f and point \(\displaystyle (4,2)\)

(a) show that the equation of L is \(\displaystyle y=-4x+18\)

\(\displaystyle f'=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}\) so \(\displaystyle f'(4)=\frac{1}{4}\) so normal would be \(\displaystyle -4\)
then L is \(\displaystyle y-2=-4(x-4)\) or \(\displaystyle y= -4x+18\)

(b) Point \(\displaystyle A\) is the x-intercept of \(\displaystyle L\). find the x-coordinate of \(\displaystyle A\)

from \(\displaystyle Y=-4x+18\) set \(\displaystyle 0=-4x+18\) then \(\displaystyle 18=4x\) and \(\displaystyle x=\frac{9}{2}\) so \(\displaystyle A=(\frac{9}{2},0)\)

there is still (c) and (d) but want to make sure this is correct first.:cool:

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Re: volumn of the solid formed

Yeah, yeah. This is correct.

Edit: that is, (a) is correct.
You've added (b) to the OP, which is still correct.

Last edited:

karush

Jan 31, 2012

(c) find the expression for the area of R

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{4}\sqrt{x}\,dx + \int_{4}^{\frac{9}{2}}(-4x+18)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{16}{3} + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{35}{6}\)

(d) The region R is rotated \(\displaystyle 360^0\) about the \(\displaystyle x\)-axis. Find the volume of the solid formed
give answer in terms of \(\displaystyle \pi\)

I assume this means adding \(\displaystyle 2\) integrals

\(\displaystyle \pi\bigg[\int_{0}^{2\pi}(\sqrt{x})^2\,dx +\int_{0}^{2\pi}(-4x+18)^2\,dx\bigg]\approx 536\pi\) units\(\displaystyle ^3\)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

c) Correct.

d) Check your limits of integration. They should be in terms of $x$, not $\theta$.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

(c) find the expression for the area of R

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{4}\sqrt{x}\,dx + \int_{4}^{\frac{9}{2}}(-4x+18)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{16}{3} + \frac{1}{2} = \frac{35}{6}\)

(d) The region R is rotated \(\displaystyle 360^0\) about the \(\displaystyle x\)-axis. Find the volume of the solid formed
give answer in terms of \(\displaystyle \pi\)

I assume this means adding \(\displaystyle 2\) integrals

\(\displaystyle \pi\bigg[\int_{0}^{2\pi}(\sqrt{x})^2\,dx +\int_{0}^{2\pi}(-4x+18)^2\,dx\bigg]\approx 536\pi\) units\(\displaystyle ^3\)
Looking good.
I guess you just wanted to verify you're using the right method?

Edit: as Mark said, you need to rectify your integral boundaries.

karush

Jan 31, 2012

Looking good.
I guess you just wanted to verify you're using the right method?

Edit: as Mark said, you need to rectify your integral boundaries.
\(\displaystyle \pi\bigg[\int_{0}^{4}(\sqrt{x})^2\,dx +\int_{4}^{\frac{9}{2}}(-4x+18)^2\,dx\bigg]\approx 8.67\pi\) units\(\displaystyle ^3\)

how does this assume that we are going \(\displaystyle 360^0\) around the \(\displaystyle x\) axis if \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) isn't anywhere?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

\(\displaystyle \pi\bigg[\int_{0}^{4}(\sqrt{x})^2\,dx +\int_{4}^{\frac{9}{2}}(-4x+18)^2\,dx\bigg]\approx 8.67\pi\) units\(\displaystyle ^3\)

how does this assume that we are going \(\displaystyle 360^0\) around the \(\displaystyle x\) axis if \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) isn't anywhere?
You're integrating circle disks.
Each disk has surface $\pi r^2$, which effectively includes your $2\pi$.
And each disk has a thickness of $dx$, which is what you are integrating.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Your integrands are of the form $\pi r^2$ which combined with the differential, gives the volumes of a stack of disk shaped slices (complete circular disks, thus the angle of rotation of $360^{\circ}$ is implied) which are then summed up by integration.

karush

Jan 31, 2012

Your integrands are of the form $\pi r^2$ which combined with the differential, gives the volumes of a stack of disk shaped slices (complete circular disks, thus the angle of rotation of $360^{\circ}$ is implied) which are then summed up by integration.
ok got it.....
so my volume is correct then...

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

ok got it.....
so my volume is correct then...
I would refrain from using a decimal approximation for the factor of $\pi$. I would write:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{26\pi}{3}\)

As a follow-up...can you compute the volume using the shell method? This will actually allow the volume to be computed using only 1 integral.(Nerd)