Why is REM one of the most underrated bands of the 90s?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, REM is a highly acclaimed band with their best work on albums "Green" and "Out of Time," although some argue "Automatic for the People" and "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" are also strong contenders. They have faced mainstream criticism but continue to perform and release music, most recently "Reveal." Some speculate about the future of the band, with rumors of member departure and health concerns. Their popular songs include "Losing My Religion," "Country Feedback," "Man on the Moon," and "Find the River."
eNtRopY
REM was a damn good band. They might still be together... I don't know, but their best work was definitely on the albums "Green" and "Out of Time." Unfortunately, I think that Out of Time (because of the song "Losing My Religion") received the same level of mainstream abuse as Nirvana's "Nevermind" or Smashing Pumpkins' "Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness."

My favorite REM song of all time would have to be "Country Feedback."

What do you appreciate about REM?

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by eNtRopY
REM was a damn good band. They might still be together... I don't know, but their best work was definitely on the albums "Green" and "Out of Time." Unfortunately, I think that Out of Time (because of the song "Losing My Religion") received the same level of mainstream abuse as Nirvana's "Nevermind" or Smashing Pumpkins' "Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness."

My favorite REM song of all time would have to be "Country Feedback."

What do you appreciate about REM?

eNtRopY

REM IS a great band and they played at glastonbury at the weekend, damn, how out of touch are u?

there best work is on automatic for the people (i know its everybody's favorite but i love it), closely followed by new adventures in hi fi

damn can't believe u think they split up. if ure interested their most recent albumn is reveal released last year (year before?) but i doubt u are seein how big a fan u are.

Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
REM IS a great band and they played at glastonbury at the weekend, damn, how out of touch are u?

there best work is on automatic for the people (i know its everybody's favorite but i love it), closely followed by new adventures in hi fi

damn can't believe u think they split up. if ure interested their most recent albumn is reveal released last year (year before?) but i doubt u are seein how big a fan u are.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I remember the come-back of 2001... I wasn't impressed. Their best work is in the past; so, I don't want to lose my appreciation for what they did by listening to what they are doing. I didn't think they split, but I assume at some time they fade. Haven't people been saying that Michael Stipe has been dying of HIV for the past ten years? It seems like at some point he won't be able to perform anymore.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Yeah, yeah, yeah... I remember the come-back of 2001... I wasn't impressed. Their best work is in the past; so, I don't want to lose my appreciation for what they did by listening to what they are doing. I didn't think they split, but I assume at some time they fade. Haven't people been saying that Michael Stipe has been dying of HIV for the past ten years? It seems like at some point he won't be able to perform anymore.

eNtRopY

the come back? they never went away, one of em left just before they wrote 'up' tho.

Wooooo..REM..one of my favourite bands.

I oly got one of their albums...Atomic For The People.

my favourite song would have to be Man On The Moon or Find The River

i am looking to get more of their albums..but me out of money

get new adventures in hi fi off ebay. a lot like AUTOMATIC for the people

OH i love REM they used to be my favourite band but then my husband fvcked up and blew away all our money.

1. Why do you think REM is underrated compared to other bands of the 90s?

There are a few reasons why REM may be considered underrated. One reason is that they did not have as many mainstream hits as other popular bands of the 90s. Additionally, their music and style did not fit into a specific genre, making it difficult for them to be categorized and marketed. Finally, they are often overshadowed by other influential bands of the 90s, such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

2. What makes REM's music stand out among other bands of the 90s?

REM's music is known for its unique blend of folk, alternative, and rock elements. They also incorporated political and social commentary into their lyrics, which was not as common in mainstream music at the time. Their music was also praised for its poetic and introspective nature, setting them apart from other bands of the 90s.

3. How did REM impact the music industry during the 90s?

REM's influence on the music industry during the 90s cannot be overlooked. They paved the way for alternative and indie rock bands to gain mainstream success. They also popularized the use of acoustic instruments and unconventional song structures in their music. Additionally, their success and longevity as a band inspired many other artists to pursue a career in music.

4. What are some of REM's most well-known songs from the 90s?

Some of REM's most popular songs from the 90s include "Losing My Religion," "Man on the Moon," "Everybody Hurts," "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?," and "The Great Beyond." These songs were not only commercial successes, but they also showcase the band's versatility and unique sound.

5. How has REM's music continued to influence artists and fans today?

Even though REM officially disbanded in 2011, their music continues to inspire and impact musicians and fans today. Many current alternative and indie rock bands cite REM as a major influence on their sound and style. Additionally, fans still listen to and appreciate REM's music, which continues to be praised for its timeless quality and thought-provoking lyrics.