Volume of tetrahedron when you are given four planes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a tetrahedron bounded by four planes. The formula V=B*v/3 is mentioned, but the individual's teacher suggests using the formula V=1/3*B*h where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the tetrahedron. The individual is unsure of how to calculate the area of the base, but is able to calculate the height. Another individual suggests finding the area of the base by constructing vectors between three of the four points, and calculating the height as the distance from the fourth point to the plane defined by the first three points. The conversation concludes with a mention of difficulty in calculating the determinant of a 4*4 matrix for this
borovecm

Homework Statement

I have to find volume of tetrahedron that is bounded between 4 planes.
Planes are
x+y+z-1=0
x-y-1=0
x-z-1=0
z-2=0

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{a}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{AB}[/tex]=(X2-X1)[tex]\vec{i}[/tex]+(y2-y1)[tex]\vec{j}[/tex]+(z2-z1)[tex]\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{b}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{AC}[/tex]=(X2-X1)[tex]\vec{i}[/tex]+(y2-y1)[tex]\vec{j}[/tex]+(z2-z1)[tex]\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{c}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{AD}[/tex]=(X2-X1)[tex]\vec{i}[/tex]+(y2-y1)[tex]\vec{j}[/tex]+(z2-z1)[tex]\vec{k}[/tex]
V(parallelepiped)=[tex]\vec{a}[/tex][tex]\ast[/tex]([tex]\vec{b}[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{c}[/tex])
V(tetrahedron)=1/6*V(parallelepiped)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found four points where planes meet. These are:
A(1,0,0)
B(0,-1,2)
C(3,2,2)
D(3,-4,2)

From that I made vectors AB, AC, AD and then I put that into [tex]\vec{a}[/tex][tex]\ast[/tex]([tex]\vec{b}[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{c}[/tex]) and got that volume of parallelepiped is 4. From there I got that volume of this tetrahedron is 2/3. Is this the correct and shortest way to get a solution? My teacher said that I can use formula V=B*v/3 but I don't know where to use it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell you where you would use B= B*v/2 since you haven't said what B or v mean in that formula!

Sorry. That's Croatian notation. I think american would be Volume=1/3*B*h where B is area of the base and h is height of tetrahedron. I can calculate h from formula for distance between point where first three planes intersect and the fourth plane. I don't know how to calculate area of the base. Is it correct that volume of this tetrahedron is 2/3?

Last edited:
You can choose any 3 of the 4 vertices to be a triangular base. A quick way of finding the area is to construct vectors [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] from one of the vertices to the other two. Then the area of the base, the triangle, is [itex]B= (1/2)|\vec{u}\times\vec{v}|[/itex]. The height of the distance from the fourth point to the plane defined by the first three points.

Last edited by a moderator:
NumberedEquation1.gif

You can find out the volume by this formula but it is difficult to calculate the determinant of a 4*4 matrix

@borovcm Don't put tex tags around every expression. Type whatever equations would nicely fit on one line and put the tags around that.

Related to Volume of tetrahedron when you are given four planes

1. What is a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional geometric shape with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices.

2. How do you find the volume of a tetrahedron when given four planes?

To find the volume of a tetrahedron when given four planes, you can use the formula V = (1/6) * |a · (b × c)|, where a, b, and c are the vectors representing the three sides of the tetrahedron formed by the four planes.

3. Can the volume of a tetrahedron be negative?

No, the volume of a tetrahedron cannot be negative. Volumes are always positive values, representing the amount of space enclosed by an object.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a tetrahedron?

The unit of measurement for the volume of a tetrahedron will depend on the units used for the lengths of the sides of the tetrahedron. For example, if the sides are measured in centimeters, the volume will be in cubic centimeters (cm³).

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the volume of a tetrahedron from four planes?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for calculating the volume of a tetrahedron from four planes. Some examples include determining the volume of a pyramid-shaped building or calculating the volume of a liquid in a triangular-shaped container.