Volume of Revolution Solid: Finding the Answer

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of the revolution solid around the x-axis for a given region between two curves. The correct integral is given by MarkFL, taking into account the intersection of the curves and the region of interest. Ackbach also provides helpful insights. Ultimately, the solution is found and appreciated.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Good morning everyone! I have been presented the following problem:

Find the volume of the revolution solid around the $x$ axis of the region between the curves $y=x^2 +1$ and $y=-x^2 +2x +5$ for $0 \leq x \leq 3$.

Finding the intersection of the curves yields $x=-1$ and $x=2$. Therefore, I calculated the integral

$$\pi \int_{-1}^2 [[-x^2 +2x +5]^2 - [x^2 +1]^2] \, dx$$

and found $\frac{189}{3} \pi$. However, the answer is $\frac{277}{3} \pi$. What am I missing? I am also at loss due to the fact that the question proposes the region for $0 \leq x \leq 3$ but it really occurs in $-1 \leq x \leq 2$.

All help is appreciated. Thanks! (Wave)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you want to do is:

$\displaystyle V=\pi\left(\int_0^2(-x^2+2x+5)^2-(x^2+1)^2\,dx+\int_2^3 (x^2+1)^2-(-x^2+2x+5)^2\,dx \right)$

This gives you the correct result.

You can see from this plot that the two curves only intersect once in the region of interest. You can see by the curvature that the two parabolas will intersect somewhere to the left of $x=0$. You've found that to be at $x=-1$. That's fine, but it's irrelevant. So MarkFL's integral, if you'll notice, is broken up according to where the intersection happens. And you'll also notice that the overall limits of the integral correspond to the region of interest: $[0,3]$. So there you go.

Thanks Mark and Ackbach! I gave it some thought about two hours ago, with another person, and I found the answer myself. However, you guys still were a great help! (Clapping)

Related to Volume of Revolution Solid: Finding the Answer

1. What is the volume of revolution solid?

The volume of revolution solid is the three-dimensional space that is created when a two-dimensional shape is rotated around an axis. This shape can be a curve, a line, or any other type of shape.

2. How do you find the volume of a revolution solid?

To find the volume of a revolution solid, you can use the method of disks or the method of shells. The method of disks involves slicing the solid into thin disks and calculating the volume of each disk. The method of shells involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and calculating the volume of each shell.

3. What is the formula for finding the volume of a revolution solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a revolution solid depends on the method being used. For the method of disks, the formula is V = π∫(R(x))^2 dx, where R(x) is the radius of the disk at a given x-value. For the method of shells, the formula is V = 2π∫x(f(x)) dx, where f(x) is the distance from the axis of rotation to the curve at a given x-value.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the volume of a revolution solid?

Finding the volume of a revolution solid is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a water tank, the capacity of a cylindrical container, or the amount of material needed to create a curved structure.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the volume of a revolution solid?

One limitation of finding the volume of a revolution solid is that it only works for symmetric shapes that can be rotated around an axis. Additionally, the shape needs to have a well-defined boundary and the axis of rotation must be known. Also, the method may not work for irregular or complex shapes.