Volume of Polyhedra: Smart Systematic Solutions

• I
  • Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to determining the volume of a polyhedron with a fair amount of symmetry. The BFMI way is to break the polyhedron into rectangles and triangles, but there may be simpler paths for certain classes of polyhedra. The general formula for calculating volume involves using the divergence theorem, with an arbitrary point on each face and the unit vector perpendicular to the face. Higher dimensions can be calculated using techniques outlined in "Graphic Gems Package: Graphics Gems II" and "Polytopes — Combinatorics and Computation."
Frabjous
Gold Member
Is there a smart or systematic way to determine the volume of a polyhedra with a fair amount of symmetry?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have no idea but I suppose area of polygon may be easier problem to challenge first.

Likes Frabjous
The BFMI way is to break a polygon into rectangles and triangles. In theory, this is generalizable to 3d, but my visualization skills are probably not sufficient for that not to be an error prone path. It seems like that there should be some geometry that provides a simpler path for certain classes of polyhedra.

I guess I could break it into pyramids with a face for each base. D’oh.

In general and for lower dimensions, volume can be derived from the divergence theorem.
The general formula is
## {\displaystyle {\frac {1}{3}}\left|\sum _{F}(Q_{F}\cdot N_{F})\operatorname {area} (F)\right|,} ##

... where the sum is over faces F of the polyhedron, QF is an arbitrary point on face F, NF is the unit vector perpendicular to F pointing outside the solid, and the multiplication dot is the dot product
Do not trust my latex here. Use this:

See:
Goldman, Ronald N. (1991), "Chapter IV.1: Area of planar polygons and volume of polyhedra", in Arvo, James (ed.), Graphic Gems Package: Graphics Gems II, Academic Press, pp. 170–171

See for higher dimensions: Büeler, B.; Enge, A.; Fukuda, K. (2000), "Exact Volume Computation for Polytopes: A Practical Study", Polytopes — Combinatorics and Computation, p. 131, CiteSeerX 10.1.1.39.7700, doi:10.1007/978-3-0348-8438-9_6, ISBN 978-3-7643-6351-2

Likes Frabjous
Thanks. I think I can find my way now.

Related to Volume of Polyhedra: Smart Systematic Solutions

1. What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object. It is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

2. What is a polyhedron?

A polyhedron is a three-dimensional geometric shape with flat faces, straight edges, and sharp corners. Examples of polyhedra include cubes, pyramids, and prisms.

3. How is the volume of a polyhedron calculated?

The volume of a polyhedron can be calculated by multiplying the area of its base by its height. For more complex polyhedra, the volume can be found by dividing the shape into simpler shapes and using the appropriate formulas for each.

4. What is a smart systematic solution for calculating the volume of polyhedra?

A smart systematic solution for calculating the volume of polyhedra involves breaking down the shape into simpler components and using known formulas to find the volume. This method is more efficient and accurate than trying to find the volume all at once.

5. How can I use the volume of polyhedra in real-world applications?

The volume of polyhedra is used in various real-world applications, such as architecture, engineering, and construction. It can also be used to calculate the capacity of containers, the amount of material needed for a project, and the displacement of objects in fluid mechanics.