Volume of Iron (dealing with the units)

In summary, the problem is asking for the volume of one mole of iron, given its molar mass of 55.8 g/mol and density of 7.86 x 10^3 kg/m^3. In order to find the volume, the density equation p = m/v is used, with m representing the mass of iron and v representing the volume. By converting the units of density to match the units of mass, the correct answer of 7.1 m^3 is obtained.
blipped

Homework Statement

What is the volume of one mol of iron where iron is 55.8 g/mol and the density of iron is 7.86 x 10^3 kg/m^3 ?

Homework Equations

p = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get the numerical answer (checked back of book), but I'm not sure how my units worked out?

v = m/p = (55.8 g/mol) / (7.86 x 10^3 kg/m^3)

I just knock off the 10^3 and divie 55.8 by 7.86 and I get the answer of 7.10 and my units would be cm, but why? How did this work out?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi blipped,

blipped said:

Homework Statement

What is the volume of one mol of iron where iron is 55.8 g/mol and the density of iron is 7.86 x 10^3 kg/m^3 ?

Homework Equations

p = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get the numerical answer (checked back of book), but I'm not sure how my units worked out?

v = m/p = (55.8 g/mol) / (7.86 x 10^3 kg/m^3)

I just knock off the 10^3 and divie 55.8 by 7.86 and I get the answer of 7.10 and my units would be cm, but why? How did this work out?

Thanks.

Your mass can't be 55.8 g/mol, can it? That's not the right units for mass. That's the factor to convert moles of iron to grams of iron. So what is the mass with the right units, and how do you get it?

(And the units you get at the final step is not just centimeters; that would be for a length.)

Thanks for help!

I suppose then it's just 55.8 g. The problem stated that there are 55.8 grams or iron per mol, so that's what I put..

I figured out what I'm supposed to do I think.. Just take the cube root of 7.86 x 10^3 kg/m^3 in order to get them to be the same units (ratio of mass to volume) then divide

55.8 g / 7.86 g /m^3 which is 7.1 m^3 for the volume..

The answer is correct according to the book but is that the right way to do it?

blipped said:
Thanks for help!

I suppose then it's just 55.8 g. The problem stated that there are 55.8 grams or iron per mol, so that's what I put..
That's right; you convert the 1 mole of iron to grams of iron, and so your expression will not have units of moles in it at all.
I figured out what I'm supposed to do I think.. Just take the cube root of 7.86 x 10^3 kg/m^3 in order to get them to be the same units (ratio of mass to volume) then divide
I'm not sure what you are referring to with the cube root. I don't see where you took a cube root. (I don't see where it is needed, either.)
55.8 g / 7.86 g /m^3 which is 7.1 m^3 for the volume..

I think you went the wrong way in the unit conversion.

[tex]
7860 \mbox{ kg/m}^3 \neq 7.86 \mbox{ g/m}^3
[/tex]

But didn't you want the answer to be in cm[itex]^3[/itex]? So if you convert both kg [itex]\to[/itex] g and m[itex]^3\to\mbox{cm}^3[/itex], what do you get?

Related to Volume of Iron (dealing with the units)

What is the unit of measurement for volume of iron?

The unit of measurement for volume of iron is typically cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3).

How is the volume of iron measured?

The volume of iron can be measured by using mathematical formulas to calculate the volume based on measurements of length, width, and height. It can also be measured by displacement, where the object's volume is determined by the amount of water it displaces in a graduated cylinder.

What are the standard units for volume of iron in different countries?

In most countries, the standard units for volume of iron are cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3). However, some countries may use different units such as gallons or liters.

Is volume of iron the same as mass of iron?

No, volume and mass are two different measurements. Volume refers to the amount of space an object occupies, while mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains. The units for volume are cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3), while the units for mass are usually grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

How does the volume of iron affect its properties?

The volume of iron can affect its properties in various ways. For example, a larger volume of iron may have a higher density, making it heavier and more difficult to manipulate. The volume can also affect the strength and durability of the iron, as well as its ability to conduct heat and electricity.