Volume of Helium Balloon - Paper Clip Balancing Problem

• Thread starter abcd1230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a helium balloon that can hold 9 paperclips without floating away. The equation Fy=Fb-W(He)+W(balloon)+(Wpaperclip)=0 is used, with some incorrect values and units initially. The equation is simplified to Fb=p(fluid)v(disp)g, where p(fluid) represents the density of the displaced air. The correct value for the density of air is 1.29 kg/m3. The correct value for g is 9.8 m/s2. The correct solution is found to be .044m3, but the conversation mentions some doubts about the accuracy of this answer.
abcd1230
BALLOON PROBLEM. please please help :)

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of a helium balloon, and 9 paperclips can sit on it so it doesn't float away (.004kg). Density of He=.18; density of air=1.29; mass of balloon=.0116kg.

Homework Equations

Free body sum of equations:
Fy=Fb-W(He)+W(balloon)+(Wpaperclip)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equation above, I first isolated Fb, then I got:

Fb=(.18)(vHe)+(.0116)(g)+(.004)(g)
Fb=p(fluid)v(disp)g=(.18)(vHe)+(.0116)(g)+(.004)(g)
I don't know if this is right. And i don't understand if you solve for Vhe or Vdisp because aren't they the same things.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Wait. for some reason, our teacher also told us to convert Liters to Meters...and I have no idea why. Thanks for your time.

abcd1230 said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of a helium balloon, and 9 paperclips can sit on it so it doesn't float away (.004kg). Density of He=.18; density of air=1.29; mass of balloon=.0116kg.
First of all, you have some values that are incorrect without units. What are the units of the density of helium? What about the density of air?
abcd1230 said:

Homework Equations

Free body sum of equations:
Fy=Fb-W(He)+W(balloon)+(Wpaperclip)=0
You seem to have some signs (negative/positive) wrong in that equation. Can you tell which ones?
abcd1230 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equation above, I first isolated Fb, then I got:

Fb=(.18)(vHe)+(.0116)(g)+(.004)(g)
This is incorrect because you don't have the proper units on these values (.18, .0116, .004). But if you add the proper units, that's a good first step. Also, what value (with units!) should you put in for g?
abcd1230 said:
Fb=p(fluid)v(disp)g=(.18)(vHe)+(.0116)(g)+(.004)(g)
I don't know if this is right. And i don't understand if you solve for Vhe or Vdisp because aren't they the same things.
Yes they are the same thing - good that you noticed that! Since they are the same, choose one variable to use for both quantities. It could be VHe or Vdisp or even just V.

Since you say you don't know if that expression is right: is there some particular reason you think it should be wrong? (except for the unit errors which I mentioned earlier)

I know the units; it would just take too long to write. And I know that g=9.8m/s2.
I just am not sure if the equation is correct, because I get an answer of .044m3 and that doesn't seem correct. This is just a regular balloon, like a helium happy birthday one. Thank you for your help though; I appreciate it.

abcd1230 said:
I know the units; it would just take too long to write.
Too long? Geez, what are you in such a hurry to get to? And why didn't you shave off another second or so by skipping some digits too? One thing you absolutely need to learn if you're ever going to do a physics problem properly is that a value which doesn't have the correct units is wrong. The density of air is (about) 1.29 kg/m3; it is not 1.29, just as much as it is not 1.29 seconds. When you're doing work on your own, sure, you don't need to write the units as long as you can keep track of them properly, but when you share your calculations with others, proper units are essential.
abcd1230 said:
And I know that g=9.8m/s2.
k, cool
abcd1230 said:
I just am not sure if the equation is correct, because I get an answer of .044m3 and that doesn't seem correct. This is just a regular balloon, like a helium happy birthday one. Thank you for your help though; I appreciate it.
Why doesn't it seem correct? (You're right, it's not correct, but you should try to understand why)

The equation you've set up is missing a factor of g in one term - I just noticed that (and you would too if you were being careful with units) - but otherwise, if you solve it properly, it does give the right answer. If you can't find your mistake, post the work you've done to solve the equation and someone else can help you identify where you went wrong.

how cute.

Fb=p(fluid)v(disp)g=(.18)(vHe)+(.0116)(g)+(.004)(g )
This equation is seems right. What do you mean with p(fluid) here?
I would say that Fb = (mass of displaced air) * g = (volume of displaced air) * (density of displaced air) * g

Related to Volume of Helium Balloon - Paper Clip Balancing Problem

What is the balloon problem?

The balloon problem is a classic puzzle in which you are given a set of balloons with different colors and sizes, and you have to arrange them in a specific order according to given rules.

What are the rules of the balloon problem?

The rules of the balloon problem vary depending on the specific version of the puzzle, but generally involve arranging the balloons in a specific order based on size, color, or other characteristics.

What skills are required to solve the balloon problem?

To solve the balloon problem, you need to have good spatial reasoning skills, the ability to think logically and sequentially, and the patience to try different combinations to find the correct solution.

Can the balloon problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the specific rules of the puzzle, the balloon problem can have multiple solutions. Some versions may have only one correct solution, while others may have multiple possible solutions.

Is the balloon problem useful for developing critical thinking skills?

Yes, solving the balloon problem requires critical thinking skills such as problem-solving, logical reasoning, and pattern recognition. It can be a fun and challenging way to exercise these skills.