Volume of Frustum Pyramid: 19800.44 ft^3Calculate Volume of Frustum Pyramid

• Thread starter blimkie.k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pyramid
In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on the appropriate formula for calculating the volume of a frustum pyramid with a square base and a 6-sided top. After sharing their own calculations and discussing the difference between the Heronian mean and the traditional formula, the final calculated volume is approximately 978,985.3452 cubic inches.
blimkie.k
I had a similar question in the "engineering systems and design" category but didn't get any replies so hear is the simple version involving only the math.

Basically I just need to see if I am using the correct formula to the calculate the volume of a frustum pyramid. However the bottom of the pyramid is a 24"x24" square and the top would be a place which much much larger 6 sided shape, with all sides different lengths. I just need to know if this formula will work for a frustum pyramid with a square for one plane and a 6 sided shape for the other plane and a depth of 4" Here is my math.

This is not a school related question.

The formula was found on wikipedias entry for a frustum pyramid

Height = 4 inches Area 1 = 713392”
Area 2 = 756” (24”x24”)

Volume = (height *area1) – (height*area2)

= ( 4” * 713392”) -( 4” * 576”)

Volume = 2851264 inches cubed

Convert to feet cubed ( 1 ft^3 = 144 in^3

2851264 / 144 = 19800.44 feet cubed

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ok i see, I want to use that one because in my case the apex has allready been sliced off so I'm not finding the difference between a full pyramid and one with a flat top.

There was a mistake up there in my math the volume should actually be 950181.33 and the i pasted the formula in from word so it didn't show my underline which was intended to show division but anyways.

Also what is the difference between this and the heronian mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heronian_mean

Running the formula this way gives me an even smaller number almost 4 times smaller.

Wiki: Heronian mean said:
The volume is equal to the product of the height of the frustum and the Heronian mean of the areas of the opposing parallel faces.

[itex]a_1=24^2, a_2=713392, h=4 [/itex]

[itex]V=\frac{h}{3}\left(A_1+A_2+\sqrt{A_1A_2}\right)[/itex]

[itex]V\approx978985.345[/itex]

Yes, your calculation appears to be correct. The formula for calculating the volume of a frustum pyramid is V = (1/3)h(A1 + A2 + √(A1A2)), where h is the height, A1 and A2 are the areas of the two bases, and √ is the square root function. In your case, A1 is the area of the 6-sided top base and A2 is the area of the 24"x24" square base. As long as you have the correct measurements for the height and the two base areas, your calculation should be accurate.

Related to Volume of Frustum Pyramid: 19800.44 ft^3Calculate Volume of Frustum Pyramid

1. What is a frustum pyramid?

A frustum pyramid is a geometric shape that has a square or rectangular base and its top is a smaller square or rectangle that is parallel to the base. It is often described as a pyramid with its top cut off.

2. How is the volume of a frustum pyramid calculated?

The formula to calculate the volume of a frustum pyramid is (1/3)h(B1 + B2 + √(B1B2)), where h is the height of the frustum pyramid, B1 is the area of the base, and B2 is the area of the top surface.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a frustum pyramid?

The unit of measurement for the volume of a frustum pyramid can vary depending on the unit used for the base and height measurements. In this case, the unit is ft^3, which stands for cubic feet.

4. Can the volume of a frustum pyramid be negative?

No, the volume of a frustum pyramid cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity that represents the amount of space inside the geometric shape and it cannot have a negative value.

5. How can I use the volume of a frustum pyramid in real life?

The volume of a frustum pyramid can be used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction. It can help in calculating the capacity of storage containers, the amount of material needed for a structure, and the displacement of fluids in tanks or vessels.