Volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric

In summary, the problem at hand is to calculate the volume of a sphere with radius ##r## in the Schwarzschild metric. The relevant equations for this calculation involve the metric components and a volume element. However, upon attempting the solution, it was discovered that the resulting volume is imaginary due to the presence of a singularity at ##r=r_s## and the fact that ##dV## is imaginary when ##r<r_s##. Further understanding of Kruskal coordinates is needed to properly solve the problem.
tb87

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of a sphere of radius ##r## in the Schwarzschild metric.

Homework Equations

I know that
\begin{align}
dV&=\sqrt{g_\text{11}g_\text{22}g_\text{33}}dx^1dx^2dx^3 \nonumber \\
&= \sqrt{(1-r_s/r)^{-1}(r^2)(r^2\sin^2\theta)} \nonumber
\end{align}
in the Schwarzschild metric.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the integral I get for the sphere's volume,
\begin{equation}
V = \int dV \nonumber
\end{equation}
gives an imaginary volume! What's going on? Of course the volume will be imaginary because ##dV## is imaginary when ##r<r_s## (plus, there's a singularity at ##r=r_s##, which complicates things if we want to integrate up to the Schwarzschild radius). There's obviously something I'm missing here, but I have no idea what it is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update : e-mailed my teacher and there's something we haven't time to see in class (Kruskal coordinates) that was required for this problem. -_-

Likes berkeman

Related to Volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric is V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere and π is the mathematical constant pi.

2. How is the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric different from the volume in Euclidean space?

In Schwarzschild metric, the volume of a sphere is affected by the curvature of space caused by the massive object at the center. This means that the volume will be smaller compared to the volume in Euclidean space, where the curvature is negligible.

3. Is the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric affected by the mass of the object at the center?

Yes, the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric is affected by the mass of the object at the center. As the mass increases, the curvature of space also increases, resulting in a smaller volume of the sphere.

4. Can the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric be negative?

No, the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric cannot be negative. The volume is always a positive value, even when the mass of the object at the center is extremely large.

5. How does the volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric change with distance from the object at the center?

The volume of a sphere in Schwarzschild metric decreases as the distance from the object at the center increases. This is because the curvature of space decreases with distance, resulting in a larger volume for the sphere.