Volume Hypersphere: 4D Sphere Equation

• B
  • Thread starter Einstein's Cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the equation used to calculate the volume of a four-dimensional "sphere" or hypersphere is (1/2)π^2.R^4, where R is the radius of the hypersphere. This is analogous to the 3-dimensional volume of a solid generated by revolving half a disc around a line. The volume is measured in cm^4 and is also known as the 4-dimensional Lebesgue measure.
Einstein's Cat
What is the equation used to calculate the volume of a four- dimensional "sphere," or hypersphere?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Einstein's Cat said:
Thank you! And I believe volume to be the extent of space the hypersphere would occupy with units cm^4. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong, but the situation is ambiguous. Consider the usual sphere. The volume has unit ##cm^3## and its area has units ##cm^2##. When we get to the hypersphere, the number analogous to the surface area is the volume and is measured in ##cm^3##. What you want is the number analogous to the volume and which is measured in ##cm^4##. I understand completely the desire to call this volume. Mathematicians call it the 4-dimensional Lebesgue measure.

Likes Einstein's Cat
here are some notes i wrote on this topic:
just as a 3 ball is swept out by revolving half a disc around a line, so a 4 ball is generated by revolving half a 3 ball.
moreover the volume of the solid of revolution can be computed by knowing where the center of mass is. then we can
use Archimedes’ trick to do a calculation that Archimedes could have done. Namely he showed
that the volume of half a 3-ball equals the difference of the volumes of a cylinder minus that of a
cone. Now the center of mass of a cylinder is obviously half way up, and Archimedes knew that
just as the center of mass of a triangle is 1/3 of the way up from the base, the center of mass of a
cone is ¼ the way up from the base.
Thus we can use centers of mass and subtraction to get the volume of a 4-ball. I.e. a cylinder of
height R and base radius R has center of mass at height R/2, and volume πR^2.R, so revolving it
around an axis at its base gives 4 dimensional volume of 2π(R/2).πR^2.R = π^2.R^4. Now the
inverted cone of height R and base radius R has center of mass at distance ¼ of the way from its
base, hence distance (3R/4) from the axis, and volume (1/3)πR^2.R. Thus revolving it generates
a 4 dimensional volume equal to (2π)(3R/4).(1/3)πR^2.R = (1/2)π^2.R^4. Subtracting the
volume of the revolved cone from that of the revolved cylinder, gives the 4 dimensional volume
of the revolved half 3-ball, i.e. the volume of the full 4-ball as π^2.R^4 - (1/2)π^2.R^4 =
(1/2)π^2.R^4.

Last edited:
Likes Einstein's Cat

Related to Volume Hypersphere: 4D Sphere Equation

1. What is a 4D sphere?

A 4D sphere, also known as a hypersphere, is a mathematical concept that represents a four-dimensional object with all points equidistant from a center point. It is similar to a 3D sphere, but with an additional dimension.

2. How is the volume of a 4D sphere calculated?

The volume of a 4D sphere can be calculated using the equation V = (π^2 * r^4)/2, where r is the radius of the sphere. This equation is derived from the general formula for the volume of an n-dimensional sphere.

3. Can a 4D sphere be visualized?

No, a 4D sphere cannot be visualized in our three-dimensional world. However, we can use mathematical models and simulations to help us understand its properties and characteristics.

4. What is the significance of studying 4D spheres?

Studying 4D spheres allows us to better understand higher-dimensional geometry and topology, which have applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering. It also helps us expand our understanding of the universe and its dimensions.

5. Are there any real-life examples of 4D spheres?

While we cannot directly observe 4D spheres in our physical world, they have been used in theoretical physics to explain certain phenomena, such as the curvature of space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. They have also been used in computer graphics and gaming to create 4D objects in virtual environments.